French is one of the two official languages of Canada, and is spoken by close to 275 million people worldwide. It’s also an official language of the United Nations, the European Union, UNESCO, NATO and the International Olympic Committee.
At Continuing Studies, you can learn French in a friendly, supportive atmosphere. Our French language programs offer:
- up-to-date materials and techniques
- daytime and evening course options (if enrolment permits)
- one or two classes per week, for two or three hours, depending on your level and the program you choose
- easy transition between programs and levels
We offer French language courses and programs for every skill level, from casual beginners to people seeking French language for professional development. All French language courses offered by Continuing Studies are subject to enrollment. Please register early and invite a friend to join you!
|OFFERING||Comprehensive French||French Language Conversation Classes||La Maison Française|
|LEVELS||Levels 1 – 4 (Introductory to Advanced)||Levels 1 – 4 (Introductory to Advanced)||Levels 1 – 4 (Introductory to Advanced)|
|CLASSES PER WEEK||Twice per week for 2 hrs x 13 weeks||Once per week for 2 hrs x 10 weeks||Five times per week for 4 hrs x 5 weeks|
|OFFERED||September and January||September, January and April||July|
|PRIMARY FOCUS||Listening, speaking, reading and writing||Conversation skills||Listening, speaking, reading and writing|
|EXAM & GRADED ASSIGNMENTS|
|CREDENTIAL||Certificate – upon successful completion of each level||Certificate – upon successful completion|
|BEST SUITED FOR||Anyone wanting to confidently and competently develop fluency in French.||Anyone wanting to learn and practice their spoken French in a casual but dynamic setting.||Anyone wanting to quickly learn French in an immersive setting including classroom instruction, activities and workshops.|
|MORE DETAILS||View Series||View Series||View Program|
Are you a French immersion teacher? If you are looking for training options for French immersion teachers, visit the Teacher Professional Development page.
- Action-Oriented Education in FSL
- Anti-oppressive practices in French teaching in BC
- Assessment in a French Immersion Classroom Part 1
- Assessment in a French Immersion Classroom Part 2
- Being and Learning Outdoors Viewed Through the Core Competencies
- Comprehensive French - Level 1
- Comprehensive French - Level 2
- Comprehensive French - Level 3
- Comprehensive French - Level 4
- Educational Resources for French Immersion Teachers
- First Peoples Principles of Learning in French Immersion Context
- FPPL: Bring the Poster With You!
- French Language Advanced Course
- French Language Conversation Classes - Level 1
- French Language Conversation Classes - Level 2
- French Language Conversation Classes - Level 3
- French Language Conversation Classes - Level 4
- Grammar and Social Justice in BC: for the Teaching of a Queer Approach to Grammatical Rules
- Indigenization of French Courses and Greater Well-being in BC
- Part 1 - What is Reading and How to Teach it in a Fun and Effective Way?
- Part 2 - What is Reading and How to Teach it in a Fun and Effective Way?
- Resources and Activities within a BC French Immersion Setting
- Strategies for Classroom Management
- The Role of Interactive Technology in Teaching
- Thematic Literacy Circles – Interdisciplinary Literacy
- We Learn by Playing, Engaging and Sharing!
These non-credit courses are open to adults at all levels of proficiency. They are designed to meet the needs of a wide audience from working professionals, to lifelong learners, to people who are new to Canada, to parents with children in French immersion—anyone wanting to confidently and competently develop fluency in French.
French Immersion Teacher Pro-D
French Immersion teachers in BC face unique challenges. The French Immersion Teacher Professional Development series transforms practice through workshops dedicated to the unique needs of in-service immersion teachers.
French Language Conversation Classes
French Language Conversation Classes (FLCC) is a club you’ll be glad you joined! You’ll meet new people who want to learn a new language in a fun, stimulating and relaxed atmosphere, among friends.
French Immersion Teacher Mentorship
French Immersion teachers in BC face unique challenges. The French Immersion Teacher Mentorship program transforms practice through mentorship, to create a more engaged and confident workforce.
This flexible certificate program allows you to customize a course of study to meet your specific learning goals.
La Maison Française
La Maison Française is an intensive, non-credit, French immersion program that's offered virtually in the summer. It is open to Canadian and international students and is intended for learners 18 years and up, at all levels of proficiency, from total beginner to advanced.
For instructor Annie Poirier, travelling is also about connecting with new people, something that learning a language has the power to unlock. When I travel, I can talk with everybody. In French, in English [or] in Spanish. This ability, she says, makes it easier for her to make friends.Read Story
There are lots of reasons for people to want to learn a new language, but science is also discovering some new, rather surprising benefits of being bilingual!Read Story
Jan Henry is a recent graduate of the French Language Diploma Program. Her journey began in 1988 and, with many life experiences in between, managed to return and graduate from the program in 2018!Read Story
Lauren joined the Division of Continuing Studies a year ago as our French and World Languages Program Coordinator, and when asked what she's enjoyed most about her job, she said "It's difficult to pick just one thing… I work with such smart, innovative people and good souls in the division, and right from the start I really felt like the leadership team, staff and instructors were on my side.Read Story
Michelle Pieke is a Canadian physiotherapist working in a leprosy clinic in West Africa. Find out how taking the French Language Diploma Program (FLDP) helped her get there.Read Story
Known for his quick wit, and his love of language and music, Didier Bergeret was one of the kindest, most compassionate souls you would ever have the pleasure to meet. You couldn’t help but be drawn to his selfless nature and big boisterous personality, one that always seemed to fall on the side of optimism.Read Story
Have you ever wanted to design your own credential? Have you ever struggled to find a program that meets your specific interests and needs? Then you might be interested in our newest program: the Certificate in General Studies.Read Story
After six years of university—never mind the 13 years I spent as a French immersion student in the Saanich school district—I had completed my teaching certificate and was starting the career I had dreamed of. I knew I was fully equipped to teach students at the elementary level, but when I thought of teaching students in the French immersion program, something was missing.Read Story
"Nan" Walmsley celebrates her 90th birthday this year but shows no sign of slowing down in her quest to learn new things. Since fall 1998, she has taken around 165 courses through Continuing Studies.Read Story