International student services

Student support

Sometimes, being in a country far from home can be challenging. It is always okay to ask for help! At Continuing Studies, free and confidential counselling services are available for you to see someone who will help you. Common reasons students might need counselling support include:

  • missing home
  • feeling sad, angry, lonely, or upset
  • going through a difficult time
  • having a family emergency

Learn more about student support

Student immigration advising

For registered students, we have a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) available to answer your questions. Common reasons students might need immigration assistance include:

  • wanting to stay in Canada longer
  • needing to extend their current study permit
  • needing to travel outside of Canada and return
  • wanting to work during the program of study

Learn more about student immigration advising

Career counselling and workshops

Continuing Studies students can benefit from individual appointments with our career counsellor as well as workshops designed to help you navigate the Canadian job market. Topics include:

  • writing a resume
  • how to search for work 
  • preparing for an interview
  • exploration of career options
  • managing career transitions

Learn more about Career services

Student services

International students registered with Continuing Studies at UVic will be charged a mandatory student services fee in each term of full-time study. These student services fees allows students to access to UVic’s world-class athletic facility, "CARSA", obtain a bus pass valid for the duration of your studies and expanded access to UVic student clubs, organizations and events. In addition, international students studying in Canada will be charged for medical insurance until MSP coverage is in place.

UVic's Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities (CARSA)

This is UVic's Centre for Athletics, Recreation, and Special Abilities. International students registered with UVic Continuing Studies the gym's ALL IN Fit and Climb package, which includes full access to: 

  • The CARSA fitness weight centre
  • The CARSA rock climbing centre
  • Reservations for group fitness classes
  • Drop-in times at the field sport house
  • Free tickets to Vikes games and events
  • McKinnon fitness centre and pool

View CARSA website

Bus Pass

Starting September 2023, you’ll need to use the new Umo mobile app or a reloadable Umo card to show proof of payment on all buses in the Victoria Regional Transit System. The UVic ONECard will no longer operate as your bus pass.

You’ll need to activate your U-Pass every term with that term’s unique-to-you UVic benefit code.

How to activate your bus pass on a reloadable Umo card:

  1. Pick up a Umo card for free from a BC Transit vendor or from the UVic Continuing Studies 2nd floor registration office. 
  2. Visit MyBusPass (in online tools) to get your unique-to-you UVic benefit code
  3. Visit to create an account and register your card
  4. Once inside, click on the left menu, select Change Agency and select Victoria Regional Transit
  5. Select My Wallet, Redeem Benefit Code and enter your benefit code to link your U-Pass to your card

View step-by-step instructions with pictures (PDF)

University of Victoria's Student Society (UVSS)

With your UVSS membership fee you have access to clubs, organizations, events and discounts at the Cinecenta movie theatre.

Club examples: Philippine Community Club, Anime Club, International Friendship Group, Swing Dance Club, Japanese Culture Club, International Student Services Club Lego Club, Chinese Students and Scholars Association, Chinese Traditional Instrument Club, Games Club, Hong Kong Student Association, Latinos with out borders.

View UVSS website International Medical Insurance

ALL international students at the English Language Centre and Continuing Studies must have medical insurance for the duration of their studies. is the automatic insurance that will be applied to your account for when you arrive in Victoria.

The plan provides emergency medical insurance coverage for international students who are new to UVic Continuing Studies.

This plan covers required medical services to address new and unexpected illness or injury.

View website