The experienced instructors at La Maison Française create a dynamic atmosphere for students to develop the fundamental skills to think, write and speak in French.
This program runs Monday to Friday, includes morning language instruction, afternoon workshops and sociocultural activities. The curriculum is divided into several levels of linguistic competencies, which are determined by a French Language Assessment completed prior to the start of the program.
Continuing Studies at UVic has delivered this program every summer since its inception in 1965, and although it has evolved over time, the core objectives remain the same:
- only use French in teaching and conversation
- teach the fundamental structures of the French language so that students adjust to thinking in French
- develop a wide vocabulary to help students express themselves orally in French
- develop functional vocabulary for numerous written purposes
- explore the linguistic similarities and differences between varieties of French spoken across the world
Funding is available with the Explore program to Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have been a part-time or full-time student for at least one term during the current school year. Funding is also available for BC teachers—many of whom choose to take this program for professional development in the summer—by contacting us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.