La Maison Française (LMF) is a five-week, non-credit, French immersion program popular with adult learners at all levels of proficiency, from beginner to advanced. Start at your own level, finish with a certificate. With experienced instructors, dynamic cultural assistants and specialized workshop facilitators, you will quickly learn to function in French. Lessons, workshops, mealtime conversations, homework help and sociocultural activities all create a French atmosphere.
Continuing Studies at UVic has delivered this program each summer and although it has evolved since its inception in 1965, the core objectives remain the same:
- Use only French in teaching and conversation
- Teach the fundamental structures of the French language so that students are able to begin to think in French
- Develop a useful and varied vocabulary in order to enable students to better express themselves orally in French
- Develop functional vocabulary for specific written purposes
- Explore the linguistic similarities and differences between varieties of French spoken in various parts of the world
This program includes morning language instruction, Monday to Friday, afternoon workshops and sociocultural activities. The curriculum is divided into several levels of linguistic competencies determined by a French Language Assessment completed prior to the start of the program.
Bursaries are available under the Explore program to Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have been a full-time student for at least one term during the current school year. Bursaries are also available to BC teachers—many of whom choose to take this program for professional development in the summer—by contacting us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.