Canadian Studies CS FAQ

Once you’ve submitted your program application, it will be reviewed by the Program Coordinator and Academic Administrator within a few weeks. We’ll contact you if additional information is required. If you meet the admission requirements, you will receive an electronic letter of acceptance and additional registration instructions from the Program Assistant.

Yes. But, if you want to take courses for credit, you will still need to apply to the University of Victoria.

Please contact the Program Assistant for information about taking Canadian Studies courses for non-credit (no application to UVic required).

Yes, you can take the Canadian Studies Diploma Program while also completing a degree program at UVic.

You may transfer in up to 4.5 units of appropriate credit courses completed at other accredited institutions and apply them to your diploma. 

Students who are unable to complete the diploma requirements while attending UVic may:

  • return to UVic to complete courses in the future
  • enroll in appropriate electives available through distance delivery
  • with the approval of the Canadian Studies Program Steering Committee, complete courses offered at other universities and apply to have the credits transferred to UVic

Each course requires 36 to 39 instructional hours, plus a usual minimum of 80 hours of reading, research, and completing assignments outside of class. You should count on about eight to 10 hours per week, per course, during the term.

All applicants to the University of Victoria must demonstrate English language proficiency.

For more information about meeting the University of Victoria's language proficiency requirement, please click here.

International students who need to advance their English to the level of proficiency required for admission to UVic may wish to consider an enriched program for language skill development such as the University Admission Preparation and Canadian Studies program, prior to applying for the Canadian Studies diploma.

This is not an extra fee. UVic requires that every newly admitted student confirm the offer of admission by paying a deposit of $250. This deposit is deducted from the balance of the tuition you will pay to UVic Tuition for the first course you take. You should not pay the $250 unless you are sure you will take a course during the session in which you are admitted, as it is not refundable if you do not take a course. You will not be able to create a NetLink ID or register for courses until your acceptance deposit has been processed.

You must register through the web using Online Tools. You must create a NetLink ID before you can register for courses. Your NetLink ID is your UVic online identification.

Please visit UVic’s Course Registration page for information to help you navigate My Page and learn how to register for courses. For other important Records information, see the UVic Registrar website or consult the University of Victoria calendar.

Your program application fee is payable to UVic but is paid at Continuing Studies.

Tuition and student fees for the courses you are taking are paid through Accounting Services: 

  • by Sept. 30 for first term courses
  • by Jan. 31 for second term courses
  • by May 31 for summer courses

UVic Tuition does not accept credit card payments for deposits or tuition fees. For information on how to pay your tuition fees, click here.  Note that you will not be billed until your fees are late. You can find out how much you owe through your Online Tools.

Credit students: your T2202a forms are available through UVic's Online Tools.

  1. Click on "My online tools"
  2. Under "Student Services", click "Download tax slips" 
  3. Click on the "Finances" tab, then click on "Slips for Income Tax Return" 

Please ensure you print the print version for CRA and do not use the viewable version as it is not the official form.   

Please contact Tuition Fees at or 250-721-7032 with any questions.

Non-credit students: use the receipt you receive when you pay your fees to Continuing Studies.

The Division of Continuing Studies offers small bursaries to assist learners in furthering their education. Bursaries are awarded on the basis of financial need and a demonstrated interest in lifelong learning, and may be used towards the program fees for Canadian Studies. Applications are available from the receptionist at the Division of Continuing Studies.

Credit students may be eligible for student loans. Check UVic Student Awards and Financial Aid website for more information.

Yes, you have the same access to the library as all students at UVic.

For transportation and other helpful information about the campus, please see our Info for Students page

We also recommend that you look at the Campus Security website, for complete parking regulations, how to purchase parking permits, and other useful information.

You can check for on- and off-campus housing on the Residence Services website. You can also check Victoria's local newspaper, the Times Colonist.

You will need to familiarize yourself with the requirements for the degree by reading the UVic calendar. Most degrees require a certain number of credits in a major and a minor area of interest, as well as electives. In addition, there may be regulations, such as no more than five 100-level courses can be applied to a degree.

When you are nearing completion of your diploma, you should go to the Advising Centre for Humanities, Sciences and Social Sciences to discuss a plan to work towards a degree. Most courses you will take for the diploma should be transferable to a degree, but it will depend on the degree you choose as well as a number of other factors.

All credit (diploma) students need to be familiar with the regulations listed in the first 35 or so pages of the UVic calendar.

Print Page Back to Canadian Studies