Campus info

On-campus services

When you take a course or program at Continuing Studies, you get access to the following services:

W.C. Mearns Centre for Learning, McPherson Library

Continuing Studies students taking any non-credit course may receive borrowing privileges. Visit the Loan Desk to obtain your Community Borrowers card.

For detailed information about UVic Libraries, borrowing and resources, see the Libraries’ website.

Students residing outside Victoria have access to the library too! Contact the UVic Library Infoline for more information.

Photo of the McPherson Library

UVic Alumni Association

The UVic Alumni Association represents all graduates of the University of Victoria, including graduates of diploma and certificate programs. We encourage active, lifelong involvement in the university’s teaching, research and community outreach efforts.

Logo of UVic Alumni Torch magazine

The association offers a host of benefits and services that link alumni with their university. Visit us and learn about our events, programs and services. The UVic Torch Alumni Magazine is mailed free of charge twice each year and we distribute a monthly electronic newsletter to all alumni who provide their email address.

Academic accommodations

At Continuing Studies at UVic, we want to support all of our students towards achieving success. Sometimes this means providing academic accommodations to reduce barriers and provide different ways of meeting essential course or program requirements. Of course, fulfilling these requirements remains the responsibility of learners, but there are things that we can do to help.

Learners with long-term or chronic medical issues and learners with disabilities are encouraged to contact our student support coordinator at 250-721-8473 or as early as possible to see how we can best support their learning. 

Barrier examples: Accommodations examples:
Mobility challenges Classes in accessible locations; classroom set up to accommodate walkers, wheelchairs, etc. 
Visual impairment (low vision/blind) Larger print format; text-to-speech software; handouts in braille
Learning disability, ADHD Writing time extensions; alternate assessments; distraction reduced exam environments
Deaf or hard of hearing Instructors use a microphone; enable caption settings in video materials
Chronic pain  Extension for assignments; permission to take regular breaks in class or stand up when needed
Anxiety Permission to take breaks when needed; alternate assessments or activities; extension on deadlines

Personal safety on campus

Campus security

Campus Security Services is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A “safe haven” is located just inside their front doors should you need help at any time. SafeWalk services are available any time to anyone wanting an escort within campus boundaries. Campus Alone is available 24 hours a day for individ­uals who work/study in isolated areas on campus and are concerned about their personal safety. 

Image of two UVic Campus Security staff members

Security officers act as First Responders trained to handle all medical emergencies.


Campus Security Services offers a SafeWalk service (24 hours) to anyone within the campus boundaries. Call 250-721-7599.

  • Be alert and aware of your surroundings
  • Trust your instincts
  • Plan your route and vary it, if possible
  • Park in well-lit areas
  • Keep your vehicle locked
  • Have your keys ready before you get to your vehicle
  • Check interior of vehicle before entering


In the event of an emergency or to report any suspicious activity, contact Campus Security Emergency at 250-721-7599 or 911 (Emergency) for Police, Ambulance or Fire

A reminder: Wallets and purses are attractive targets to thieves. Don’t leave them unattended or in unlocked rooms.

Although major emergencies on campus are unlikely, it’s a good idea to be prepared. Here are a few tips to help you respond when the unexpected happens.

  1. Sign up for the UVic Emergency Alerts to get an emergency text message.
  2. Use texting, not calls, to let your family know you’re safe.
  3. At the time of an emergency, check the UVic website for information.
  4. Medical emergency? Call 911 and Campus Security Services at 250-721-7599. Give your location.
  5. Fire? Pull the fire alarm and get out of the building: follow the instructions of the emergency coordinators wearing orange vests.
  6.  Earthquake? Drop, cover and hold on. Do not leave the building until the shaking stops. Go to the playing fields behind CARSA and stay away from the buildings.
  7. Threat of violence? Protect yourself by getting out, hiding or—as a last resort—take action.
  8. If you evacuate a building, take your wallet, keys and mobile phone with you.
  9. Use the UVic mobile app (iPhone | Android) for details on emergency response procedures. 
  10. If you see something, say something: call the Campus Security emergency line at 250-721-7599 to report an emergency, unusual behaviour or personal safety concern.

For more in­for­ma­tion on Campus Security Services, pro­grams and safety tips, call 250-721-8981, or visit their website.

Getting to campus

Most of our Continuing Studies courses are held on the University of Victoria campus. For information on finding your classroom, bus routes and parking on campus, please view our Getting to campus page.


Still have questions?

Take a peak at our Info for students FAQ page