Summer course registration opened on Feb. 1. Courses can fill up fast, so be sure to register early to get your seat. Please register for your course online if you are a program student or call the Continuing Studies registration desk at 250-472-4747.
Restoration of Natural Systems Program
SUMMER 2020 TERM:
- ER 388A – Climate Change in Ecological Restoration - May 4 to July 31 (online)
- ER 312A – Field Study in Ecological Restoration I - May 9 to 13 (face to face)
- ER327A – Case Studies in Ecological Restoration - May 4 to July 31 (online)
- ER 390 – Environmental Restoration Project and ER 400 Seminar in Environmental Restoration are available for registration in the Spring 2020 term – Contact Nancy Shackelford to discuss your project.
Ecological Restoration Program
Hold the date: RNS spring celebration in April
We are planning a get together on the UVic Campus to celebrate the ER 390 projects completed this year as well as provide an opportunity to meet the new Academic Director, Dr. Nancy Shackelford. Look for an email soon, with details on location, times and dates.
New RNS Program video
Over the past few months we’ve been busy creating a new RNS Program video to showcase our students, alumni, and program highlights. Special thanks to those who made it possible, including alumni, Sonia Voicescu, instructor, Andrew Elves, students, Edmund Strachan, Sarah Cotter, and Maria Catanzaro, staff members and the Media One production company. Please share widely with friends and colleagues!
June 2020 graduation dates
If you think you are nearing completion of your program or that you will have completed all of your courses by April 30, 2020, you can still apply for a June 2020 graduation, up until Feb. 15 (with a late fee). Please get in touch with the program coordinator to ensure your RNS program is complete. If you are a concurrent UVic undergraduate student you must consult with Academic Advising before you can graduate. If you are an RNS Diploma student, you’ll need to apply here and contact the program coordinator. If you are an RNS Certificate or an ER PSC student, you’ll need to contact the program coordinator for instructions on how to proceed.
5-year schedules online
The 5-year program schedule has been updated and has its own webpage where you can link straight to course descriptions. Bookmark these for quick access:
Checking your grades
We encourage you to log on and check your final grades online. Depending on whether you are a credit or non-credit student, there are different places to check your final course grades.
- If you are an RNS Diploma (credit) student: you can view your grades by logging in to the UVic home page and searching under “My online tools”.
- If you are an RNS Certificate or ER Certificate (non-credit) student: you can view your grades by logging in to Continuing Studies Website. Click on “My Account” near the top right of the page, then click on “Transcripts, Reports, Tax Forms” on the left hand side menu and select Administrative Transcript.
Looking for a copy of your T2202A tuition receipt for income tax purposes? It’ll be available for download by the end of February.
- If you are an RNS Diploma (credit) student: you can view and print your T2202A by logging in to the UVic home page and searching under “My online tools”.
- If you are an RNS Certificate or ER Certificate (non-credit) student: you can view and print your T2202A by logging in to Continuing Studies Website. Click on “My Account” near the top right of the page, then click on “Tax Forms” on the left hand side menu.
Post nominal letters
Wondering what to put behind your name once you graduate? Here are the post nominal letters according to program:
- Restoration of Natural Systems Diploma: Dip.RNS
- Restoration of Natural Systems Certificate: Cert.RNS
- Professional Specialization in Ecological Restoration: PSCert.ER
Help us improve the RNS Program
Our new RNS Director, Nancy Shackelford, is looking for past and present students to interview about their experience in the program. If you have something to share and want to help us make the program the best it can be, please get in touch with her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5-Day Parks Professional Pathways Training
If you are involved the fields of landscape architecture, parks, horticulture and maintenance, you might want to attend the Parks Professional Pathways conference in Langley, BC, Feb. 24 to 28. The conference includes three days of certification workshops and two days of educational conference.Learn more
Where: Coast Hotel and Convention Centre, Langley
Who: Over 280 parks professionals from around the province including Parks Planners and Managers, Arborist and Ecologists, Parks Maintenance workers, Insects, Pests and Invasive Plant Managers and more!
2020 seedy Saturday
The RNS program will have an info booth at this year’s Seedy Saturday on Feb, 15, at the Victoria Conference Centre – if you’re there, drop by and say hi!
If you are currently looking for work, here are some employer websites to check out:
- Hatfield Consultants
- BC Provincial Government
- Civic Jobs Canada
- Parks Canada
- EcoCanada Job Board
Looking to volunteer?
The following groups are recruiting volunteers:
- Shaw Centre for the Salish Sea
- Peninsula Streams Society
- Habitat Acquisition Trust
- Wild Arc – If you are interested in wildlife rehabilitation, Wild Arc has a practicum program for volunteers that may interest you!
- David Turpin Garden Restoration – Join Fiona Chambers in the DTB courtyard, UVic Campus, every Thursday from 1 to 4 pm (rain or shine!). Equipment provided, everyone welcome.
Want to connect with the larger UVic Environmental Studies community?
Sign up for the bi-weekly newsletter and find out relevant information on local events, seminars, volunteer opportunities and more.
For more information:
- Posted Feb. 3, 2020