Non-credit courses and programs
Please view the individual course or program pages for specific English proficiency requirements related to that offering. In general, since the language of instruction is in English, learners are recommended to have a functional understanding of the language. Our 4-week online program English for Global Communication is an ideal program for learners who want to improve their English proficiency in a short time.
Business administration programs
If your first language is not English, you will be asked to provide evidence of proficiency through one of the following:
- Transcript showing graduation from a Canadian secondary school
- Four years of full-time academic studies in which all language of instruction is English at a high school or post-secondary institution in a recognized English-speaking country
- Successful completion of a recognized degree program from an accredited university in which all language of instruction is English, in a recognized English-speaking country
- IELTS (academic) 6.0 overall (no sub-score less than 5.5)
- TOEFL IBT 79 (no sub-score less than 17)
- TOEFL Paper-based Test 550
- UVic ELC level ELPI 570
- Successful completion of approved English partner pathway level
The University of Victoria requires all students to meet a certain level of English language proficiency.
If your first language is not English, you must submit proof of English skills to be considered for admission to UVic.
International students who need to improve their English skills before applying to UVic may wish to consider a program like the University Admission Preparation (UAP) Program offered through the UVic English Language Centre.
English Language Centre programs
View individual programs for full details. In general, the students must have a basic knowledge of English and can take our free ELC Basic English Test to see where they are at.