Environmental and Occupational Health EOH - FAQ

With online education, you can complete courses without attending the university. Our online courses include web-based learning. All courses have an official start and completion date. The instructor facilitates weekly learning objectives and course work, and all assignments are submitted online. Once you register for our online courses you have access to the Orientation to Online Learning course, a self-paced orientation to help you to familiarize yourself with Brightspace, our online learning platform.

You can fully complete the Certificate Program in Environmental and Occupational Health (EOH) through a flexible delivery format.

Each course is 12 weeks long with an official start and end date. We offer courses in three terms:

  • fall (September to December)
  • spring (January to April)
  • summer (May to August) 

If you take only one course each term, it will take you three years to complete the EOH program.

A steering committee has been established to ensure strict adherence to academic and professional standards along with application of program objectives. In addition, the committee functions to ensure currency of curriculum, to recommend and approve instructors drawn from the University and community as professional practitioners, and to set policies in accordance with University policy. All courses and instructors are evaluated on a regular and ongoing basis.

Current fee schedule is available on the program page.

We accept applications on an ongoing basis but you must apply to the program before registering for courses in the certificate program. Program application is available on our program page.

Our courses are non-credit, which means they will not, in general, ladder into undergraduate or graduate programs. Please contact the specific institution to inquire about their transfer opportunities.

Approximately two weeks before your course starts, you will receive an email with login information and details about ordering your textbook. If you live within the Victoria area, you can pick up the materials in person at the UVic Bookstore.

The cost for textbooks depends on the course, as courses may have required or optional textbooks. Some courses also require web-based readings.

Yes, you have the same access to the library as all students at the University of Victoria. The library has both online and on-site tutorials to help you familiarize yourself with the system. Check the UVic library website to learn more about the services available.

Instructors set the evaluation criteria for each course. Within the course, grades may be a combination of assignments and/or quizzes and/or reports.

The Division of Continuing Studies (DCS) offers bursaries in the Fall and Spring terms to assist learners in furthering their education. Bursaries are awarded to learners who can display evidence of a commitment to lifelong learning and who can demonstrate financial need. Visit the Continuing Studies Fees page for details and deadlines.

You can view and change your contact information (telephone number, mailing address, email address) in the online student registration system. You can also view and print off your unofficial transcripts. For more information on how to access your student profile, Sign in and visit the My Account section.

If your first language is not English, you must submit proof of English proficiency (TOEFL 90 on the online test or 575 on the paper-based test, with no section less than 20; or Academic IELTS 6.5, with no individual component less than 6.0).

Print Page Back to Environmental and Occupational Health