The Professional Specialization Certificate in Population Health Data Analysis (PHDA), offered in partnership with Population Data BC and the University of Victoria, Department of Geography, will give you the skills and knowledge you need to get ahead in your career. Complete four courses to earn a Certificate conferred by the University of Victoria or take up to two courses for professional development. These fully online, non-credit courses can help you take your career to the next level. Apply today!
To learn more about the PHDA program and its courses, please join us for a free 30-minute PHDA Orientation Webinar:
- Understand the value of a professional specialization certificate
- Become familiar with the key training components of the PHDA program
- Learn about the program’s strengths and benefits from PHDA graduates
- Find out if the PHDA program is right for you -via Q & A time
- Gain related free data analytic resources to support your educational goals
- Individuals who complete the webinar will be eligible for a 50% discount in the program application fee
Webinar sessions will be held on Wednesday, March 14 at 10:00 am PT and Thursday, April 12 at 11:00 am PT. Register today for one of these informative sessions!
The following courses will run from May to July 2018:
PHDA 02: Epidemiological Statistics
This is a basic course in epidemiology, which also covers a variety of analytic topics not commonly addressed in elementary statistics courses. This course will introduce students to the field of epidemiology. Students will critically evaluate articles in the epidemiologic literature and examine epidemiologic methods through applied analytic training using SAS software including:
- data collection
- study design and statistical analysis
- relative risk
- contingency tables
- logistic and Poisson regression
- measurement error and exposure misclassification
- imputation of missing values
- multilevel regression models in epidemiology
PHDA 03: Population Health and GIS
In this course, students will learn about the applications of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to health research and population and public health. Throughout the course, students will gain hands-on experience working with a wide range of spatial data and analysis methods using ArcGIS. In particular, students will:
- Identify the importance of the geographic nature of population health.
- Explain basic concepts of spatial data as they apply to health data and population health applications.
- Identify major uses of GIS in population health.
- Use GIS to map health data.
- Apply a number of spatial techniques to analyze health data.
- Critically interpret spatial approaches and methodology in population health.
PHDA 02 and PHDA 03 are required courses for the Professional Specialization Certificate in Population Health Data Analysis. PHDA 02 requires students to be within Canada for the duration of the course. PHDA 03 is available internationally.
Check out what our students have to say about our award-winning* program and these courses: https://www.popdata.bc.ca/etu/testimonials/PHDA
Act now! Registration is open for May courses until April 20, 2018, space permitting. Please allow enough time for us to process your application and review your supporting documents before the registration deadline.
For more information, including program and course pre-requisites, completion requirements, course descriptions, student testimonials, fee breakdowns, or to apply for the program, please visit https://continuingstudies.uvic.ca/PHDA.
*The Canadian Association for University Continuing Education (CAUCE) honoured the Professional Specialization Certificate in Population Health Data Analysis program with an award recognizing excellence in University Continuing Education programs in Canada in the category of Non-Credit Programming Over 48 Hours in June 2017.
- Posted Feb. 19, 2018