Policies and procedures may change during COVID-19. For up-to-date information, please view Homestay requirements during COVID-19.
Information for Institutional Partners and Agents
Welcome to the University of Victoria's award-winning Homestay Program! Our staff are dedicated professionals who work hard to ensure that international students and our local host families enjoy cultural exchanges.
"UVic and my home stay family were the most beautiful experiences in my life. If you want to improve your English, UVic is the best place to do it."
What is Homestay?
UVic Homestay is an opportunity for students to live with a local family while enrolled in classes at the University of Victoria. Homestay families will welcome students into their home and provide them with a safe, comfortable and friendly place to live within easy travelling distance of the university. Students will eat meals with their host family, participate in their weekend activities and become part of their daily lives.
The benefits of Homestay:
- gives students an opportunity to use and practice their English language skills in an informal setting
- provides students with an automatic base of support in Canada
- places students with a family who will provide all meals and snacks
- provides students with affordable accommodations in a city where housing can be hard to find
- ensures that students will live within a 60-85-minute commute to UVic, on convenient bus routes
- places students in homestay for their program dates
Why should students participate in Homestay?
- Homestay students improve their English skills more quickly than students who live alone.
- The host family will help students learn about Victoria.
- Students will have a “home away from home” in Victoria, and the chance to participate in daily Canadian life and culture.
- The host family will provide a safe, respectful and supportive living environment.
What can students expect from their host family?
The host family will:
- follow the UVic Homestay Guidelines for Hosts
- pick up the student when they arrive in Victoria and drop them off at their departure location when the student leaves Victoria (on the program's set arrival and departure dates)
- speak English at all times
- encourage students to practice English conversation skills at home
- provide a safe, comfortable and friendly home
- provide a private, furnished bedroom (maximum three students per home)
- provide food for all meals and snacks
- provide Wi-Fi/Internet access in the home
- help students adjust to living in a new city and culture
- encourage students to join in their family activities
- introduce students to Victoria and the local neighbourhood
- live within a 60-85-minute commute to the University of Victoria
How much does Homestay cost?
- Monthly English programs: The homestay fee is $1095 CAD per program, and $36.50 CAD for additional nights. As of January 1, 2023, the homestay fee will be $1260 CAD and $42 CAD for additional nights.
- The homestay fee for consecutive programs or programs longer than a full month is $1095 CAD per month and $36.50 CAD per night for extra nights or partial months. As of January 1, 2023, the homestay fee will be $1260 per month for programs longer than a full month, and $42 per night for extra nights or partial months.
- Please see the Detailed Fee Payment Schedule for specific fee information.
- Customized program fees vary depending on length of program ($42-$53 CAD/night).
- The student pays homestay fees directly to the host.
- The student is responsible for the full homestay fee — based on the Homestay Placement contract dates — even if they arrive after their placement start date.
- The student pays Homestay fees on the day that they arrive, and then (for long-term programs) on the corresponding day of each following month, for the duration of their Homestay Placement contract, based on the placement start date.
Please note that students are placed in UVic Homestay on a first come first served basis as completed applications are received by our office. Homestay is limited and spaces may fill before the deadline. In cases where UVic Homestay cannot accommodate students, students will need to arrange their own homestay privately.
Homestay information for:
- Agents and Institutional Partners
- Institutional Partners sending Groups
Important information to share with your student:
- UVic Homestay: Information for Students in English Language Centre Programs
- Homestay Guidelines for Students
- Homestay Student Resource Page
- Homestay Problem Solving Chart
- Fee Payment Schedule Information
- Your student's Flight Details and Arrival Information - Individual Students
- Your student's Flight Details and Arrival Information - Group Arrivals and Departures
Agent & Third Party policies
Agents and institutions must provide us with the student’s personal email address.
Please note that it is the policy of UVic Homestay that we are provided with the student’s personal email address. This allows us to not only contact the student with information about their Homestay placement, but it also facilitates communication between the student and host. Early communication between your students and our hosts helps ensure that important information is exchanged early (such as arrival and flight details), and if any issues or problems arise, they can be dealt with in a timely manner.
Our hosts always strive to make a welcoming first impression, as this helps create a strong connection between them and the international students that will join their family in Victoria. Allowing the student and host to connect directly helps create a strong bond from the start. When hosts and students get to know each other through email communication first, it increases the student’s comfort level and feeling of welcome upon arrival at the host’s home.
The host placement information will not be sent until the UVic Homestay Program has received the student’s personal email address.
Homestay Placement Contract
Homestay Placement Contracts will be sent directly to the student. Due to Privacy of Information policies, the contract is intended for the student only. When dealing with groups of students, we may share basic placement contact details with agents.
Communicating with hosts
It is important to note that agents should not be communicating with hosts. If you have any questions, concerns or requests for the hosts, we ask that these please be made to UVic Homestay first, so that we can find the best possible solution taking your business and our policies into account. Hosts have been advised not to respond if an agent contacts them, but rather forward the information to UVic Homestay.
Payment to Homestay families
- Monthly English programs: The homestay fee is $1095 CAD. As of January 1, 2023, the homestay fee will be $1260 CAD and $42 CAD for additional nights.
- The homestay fee for programs longer than a full month is $1095 per month and $36.50 CAD per night for extra nights or partial months. As of January 1, 2023, the homestay fee will be $1260 per month for programs longer than a full month, and $42 per night for extra nights or partial months.
- Fee Payment Schedule Information
Homestay Rates for Customized Group Programs:
- For stays that are one week or less, the homestay fee is $325/week. As of January 1, 2023: For stays that are one week or less, the homestay fee is $395/week
- For stays that are 8-14 nights, the homestay fee is $43 CAD/night. As of January 1, 2023: For stays that are 8-14 nights, the homestay fee is $53 CAD/night.
- For stays that are 15-24 nights, the homestay fee is $40 CAD/night. As of January 1, 2023: For stays that are 15-24 nights, the homestay fee is $50 CAD/night.
- For stays that are 25-31 nights, the homestay fee is $1095 CAD. As of January 1, 2023: the fee will be $1260 and $36.50 for additional nights.
- The homestay fee is $1095 CAD per month for programs longer than a full month, and $36.50 CAD per night for extra nights or partial months. As of January 1, 2023: the homestay fee will be $1260 per month for programs longer than a full month, and $42 per night for extra nights or partial months.
Short-term program Homestay fees
Students registered in one short term program are responsible for paying $1095 CAD to their hosts for the hosting dates listed in the Placement Contract, even if these are less than a calendar month. As of January 1, 2023, this fee will increase to $1260 CAD, and $42 CAD per night for extra nights.
For example: If the January monthly program has an arrival date of January 9 and a departure date of February 3, then the student will be required to pay $1260 CAD for those program dates. But if a short-term student requests to extend their stay outside of their placement dates, they are responsible for paying the host $42 CAD per night for each additional night. If the student above has requested to arrive early — on Jan. 8 for example — then the student would be required to pay $1302 CAD ($1095 + $42) to their host.
If a student is registered in consecutive short-term programs, or a long term program (such as an Intensive English (ELPI) program that runs for 12 weeks), then students pay hosts according to the Long-Term Program Fee schedule below.
Long-term program Homestay fees
- The Homestay fee is $1095 per month and $36.50 CAD per night for extra nights or partial months. As of January 1, 2023, the homestay fee will be $1260 CAD and $42 CAD for additional nights.
- The student pays this fee directly to the host, unless UVic Homestay has made alternate arrangements for the specific student.
- The student pays Homestay fees on the day they arrive and then on the corresponding day of each following month for the duration of their stay.
An example of a payment schedule for a student placed from Sept. 6 and departing on Dec. 9 is:
- Sept. 6 – Oct. 5, inclusive: $1095 CAD
- Oct. 6 – Nov. 5, inclusive: $1095 CAD
- Nov. 6 – Dec. 8, inclusive: $1204.50 CAD ($1095 + three nights at $36.50 per night)
For more information on payment, please see: Fee Payment Schedule Information.
Please note that it is not appropriate for agents to contact the host family and request their personal banking information to make wire transfers, or to discuss alternate payment options. Agents should not be communicating with hosts. If you have any questions, concerns or requests for the hosts, we ask that you please contact UVic Homestay.
If your student needs to arrive earlier than the date listed on the hosting dates:
- your student should ask their Homestay family if they can be accommodated earlier than the arrival date listed. If the host family is not able to accommodate a request for an earlier arrival date, it is the student’s responsibility to arrange accommodation until the arrival date listed in the Homestay Placement contract. See a list of accommodation options in Victoria.
- once the student accommodations have been arranged, the student must contact their host family to tell them where they are staying, so arrangements for pick up can be made
- students should aim to arrive on the weekends or weekday evenings, no later than 9 pm (and not during the weekday work hours) so that host families can make the necessary arrangements to pick up the student
- students arriving on a weekday (Monday - Friday) during regular work hours (typically 8:30am-4:30pm), are required to take a taxi or shuttle to the host's home (at the student's expense).
Students planning to arrive in the Homestay home after the hosting dates listed must contact the host with their request via email, with at least two weeks notice.
Students arriving after the Program’s set Arrival Date, are required to book transportation, at their own expense, to their host's home (if arriving in the evening) or to the University of Victoria campus (if arriving during regular weekday work hours). Students arriving early in the day on a weekday are advised to take a taxi to the University of Victoria, Continuing Studies Building, and join the day’s activities – your host will be able to pick you up after their workday (typically after 5pm).
Students who will arrive late must notify their host family with at least two weeks notice, otherwise they will be required to pay the Homestay host from the hosting dates stipulated on the contract. Visa rejections or delays—or health reasons—would be exceptions.
Groups departing after the Program’s set Departure Date are required to make arrangements to book a hostel or hotel accommodation, at the student’s expense, for the additional night/s. Homestay hosts will drop your students off at the hotel/hostel accommodation on the Departure Date at the check-in time specified by the hotel.
Please see Your student's Flight Details and Arrival Information - Group Arrivals and Departures for more information.
Please note that our general practice is to place students for the duration of their program. Any student wishing to end the hosting relationship may terminate the placement contract by providing a Two-Week Notice Form that has been signed by both parties (the student and the host). The form can be obtained from the UVic Homestay Office and once completed, must be submitted to the UVic Homestay office for review. Notice may only be given once a student has been living in the home for at least two weeks, so that the student completes one full month/payment period. Move out date into a new homestay placement is subject to availability within the Homestay Program. Student is responsible for paying the host for at least two weeks from the day the Two-Week Notice form is completed and signed.
Gaps between programs
Sometimes there are gaps between one registered program and the next consecutive program offered. When Homestay is the accommodation option provided for a program (Sept. to June), UVic Homestay will place students with a host family throughout their registered programs, including any gap periods. Please note that students applying to our summer short-term programs in July and August have the option of registering for dormitory accommodation only and cannot remain in Homestay during this time.
Students that are away for 5 or more consecutive nights pay a reduced rate. Student will give a completed Vacation Notice Form to Host at least one week prior to travel. If the Student is away from the home for:
- 1 – 4 consecutive nights: Host and Student are not required to complete a Vacation Notice Form as the home placement fee will not be reduced.
- 5 or more consecutive nights: Students can keep their belongings in their rooms and the Host will not use their rooms for any other purpose while they are away. During vacations of 5+ consecutive nights the Homestay fee will be reduced to half the regular per night rate.