English for Global Communication (EGC) is designed to work around your schedule through a blend of asynchronous (online activities completed on your own within a flexible schedule) and synchronous (real-time online sessions with your class via Zoom) delivery formats. UVic instructors will guide you through theme-based learning activities during class time, with the addition of self-guided activities to be done through the online learning platform.
Asynchronous study activities include:
- Video lectures and dialogues
- Participating in interactive discussion forums
- Language listening assignments
- Grammar and vocabulary practice activities
Synchronous study activities include:
- Practicing the lessons learned in the asynchronous activities
- Participating in mini-presentations or debates
- Group work with classmates
Cultural activities include:
- Café Social: to practice English with your classmates and native speakers
- Experience Victoria videos: to learn more about life in Canada
- Oh Canada: to learn about Canadian stories and events, for discussion at Café Social
This superior online hybrid approach allows for flexibility and efficiency in working through the course learning objectives, while receiving support in your language development.
|EGC entry levels (with CEFR classifications):|
|Level 1||upper beginner level (CEFR A1+)|
|Level 2||pre-intermediate level (CEFR A2)|
|Level 3||intermediate level (CEFR A2+)|
|Level 4||upper intermediate level (CEFR B1)|
|Level 5||advanced level (CEFR B2/B2+)|
Students who complete the EGC program will:
- Improve and strengthen English language skills by working on all four language elements - listening, speaking, reading and writing - in a wholly online interactive environment.
- Develop and enhance functional language, grammar, and vocabulary. These are done independently, in pairs, in groups, and with an instructor through a variety of tasks and activities.
- Practice and build confidence in presentation skills and written assignments through a range of topics related to community connections.
Who is this program for?
The EGC program will be of value to students and professionals who want to:
- Improve their confidence communicating in English through a program with a low time commitment and no travel requirement.
- Build their English proficiency in preparation for on-campus English language studies.
- Maximize their experience attending a future DCS business program by refreshing their English skills.
- Maintain their English skills after attending an English language program on-campus at UVic.