Social Justice Studies SJ FAQ

Do I need any specific pre-requisite courses before applying to the program?


How will I know if I’m accepted into the program?

Once you have submitted your application, it will be reviewed by the Program Director within a few weeks. We will contact you if additional information is needed. If you meet admission requirements, you will receive an electronic letter of acceptance and additional information from the Program Assistant.

How quickly can I complete the program?

The program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis.

If you have not registered in a course in the last three terms (i.e. for twelve months), you will need to apply for readmission. However, you will not need to reapply to the program.

For students looking to fast-track through the program, the diploma can be completed in eight months with full-time study. Concurrent undergraduate students who enter the program with acceptable core and elective courses already completed can complete the program in as little as one term!

Does the program require English language proficiency?

While English language proficiency is not specifically required for acceptance to this program, it is required for acceptance to UVic.

In addition, all undergraduate students—including diploma, certificate and unclassified students—must complete 1.5 units of first-year English (excluding ENGL 181 and 182) in order to satisfy the English requirement. Students who can show equivalent proficiency in English may be exempt from this requirement.

Can I complete this program online?

No. At this time, core courses are not available by distance education, so the program cannot be completed online.

What are the fees for the program?

Type of Fee


Payable to:

Special notes

Diploma application fee


Division of Continuing Studies (DCS)

Charged one time upon admission to the program only

UVic acceptance deposit


University of Victoria

Charged one time upon admission or new UVic students only and used toward tuition

UVic undergraduate application fee

$84.25 Domestic
$157 International

University of Victoria

For new undergraduate students only

Registration application


University of Victoria

For returning students only

Course tuition(for each 1.5 unit course)

$616.56 Domestic
$2971.53 International

University of Victoria

Based on domestic fees – check UVic website for international fees

Student fees (per term)

The amount varies according to the number of courses taken.

University of Victoria

Includes UVSS, Athletics and UPass Transit Fees

Fees are subject to an annual increase. Late fees, official transcripts, housing (of applicable), course material, and graduation fees are in addition to the fees quoted above. Please consult the UVic Calendar or UVic Accounting on the most up-to-date and accurate information on tuition and ancillary fees.

Do you accept transfer credit?

Up to 3.0 units of transfer credits may be approved as elective credits. Transfer courses must be equivalent to UVic courses.

How do I access my transcripts/tax receipts/grades/change my address?

All this and more can be done by logging in to your Online Tools.

Where do I go for program advising?

You can contact Tri-Faculties Advising.

Can I complete the SJS diploma and a BA (or any undergraduate degree) at the same time?

Yes! Completing the diploma in Social justice Studies along with an undergraduate degree means you will not only graduate with two credentials, but will be equipped with invaluable and applicable skills as you move into your career or further your education in graduate school! Graduating with two credentials will give you a leg up over your peers graduating with only their undergraduate degree.

Most students completing an undergraduate degree in the Faculties of Fine Arts, Humanities, Human and Social Development or Social Sciences can apply course credit toward both credentials, meaning you will graduate with two credentials with no extra time or financial commitments! Often core SJS courses can be used toward elective or core courses in your BA major program, and core courses for your BA major program can be used as electives toward the SJS diploma.

No more than 3.0 units from any one department or school may be counted for credit towards the diploma.

Please note that in order to share courses between programs, you must graduate from both programs at the same time.

Do I need to stay in school longer to complete both my SJS diploma and BA?

Not usually. If you join the SJS program in your 3rd year of undergraduate studies, you will usually be able to complete all requirements for both your BA major program as well as the SJS diploma in two years. Additionally, many students join the SJS program only to discover they have already competed a number of core or elective courses for the program and are well on their way to finishing! Please contact us to discuss further or see which courses you have already completed could be used toward an SJS diploma!

Once I’m accepted, when can I start taking courses?

You can register for courses as soon as you are admitted to UVic. Students who are already admitted to UVic can register for courses at any time.

How do I register for courses?

Social Justice Studies program students register for courses through the normal UVic registration system, Online Tools. Students with questions can call 250-721-8121 for personal assistance or email

How do I choose the courses I take?

This program involves the completion of 10 courses (15.0 units) including:

  • 4.5 units of core courses (three courses: SJS 100, SJS 200 and SJS 400A)
  • 10.5 units of electives (seven courses)

Will I be taking classes with the regular students at UVic?

Yes, you will attend courses with students registered in Bachelor's programs at UVic.

I’m working full-time. Will I be able to find the courses I need in the evenings?

While some courses may be scheduled in the late afternoon or evening, others are scheduled in the morning or early afternoon, so some degree of flexibility in your work schedule is needed to participate.

I’m trying to register for a course, but the registration system says that there is a "prerequisite error". What should I do?

If you don’t meet a course prerequisite but believe you have other background experience that qualifies you to take the course, you should contact the instructor of the course by email to seek their permission directly.

If the instructor grants permission, it is up to you to forward confirmation to the Undergraduate Secretary in the home department of the course. They will then do a permission override which will allow you to register for the course (or, alternatively, the Undergraduate Secretary may just register you directly at the same time as overriding the course permission).

How many courses can I register for?

Except with the written approval of the Dean, the maximum course load per term is 9.0 units (six courses) and includes studies taken elsewhere.

How do I find out which courses are being offered?

There are three ways to find out what courses are being offered:

  1. Through the UVic Timetable
  2. Through Online Tools using "Class Search"
  3. Through the UVic Calendar

To help plan your timetable, use this timetable worksheet.

A CRN is a unique five-digit course registration number that you’ll need to register for courses. You will find course CRN’s while looking up classes in the timetable or Online Tools class search.

What does the section (A01, A02, T03, etc.) mean?

Courses are assigned section numbers that start with a letter which identifies the type of section:

  • lecture sections start with an "A"
  • lab sections start with a "B"
  • tutorial sections start with a "T"

They are followed by a two-digit sequence number which differentiates between more than one offering of a course per term.

How do I get on the waiting list for a course?

If the course is full and has an active waiting list, you can choose to go on the waitlist while registering on Online Tools.

  • choose Waitlisted from the Action pull-down list, then click on Submit Changes.
  • you will then have to confirm that you want to waitlist by clicking again.
  • go to the Waitlisting menu option to monitor your position, confirm your place, drop from the waitlist and register in the class.

 What is the difference between a lecture and a seminar course?

Size and level. Seminar courses are generally offered at the fourth-year level with less than 20 students registered. Assessment for participation is usually greater in seminar courses.

How many hours will I need to set aside for each course?

During the regular winter session (September to April), you will spend three hours a week in class for each course. Summer (May to August) class schedules vary and may include more intensive classes.  In addition to in-class time, you should plan to spend another three to six hours per week outside of class reading reference materials and completing assignments.

Please keep in mind that learning styles vary and the hours listed above are approximate.

How do I graduate?

You should apply to graduate in your last term of study. Once you have checked your graduation requirements, you should apply to graduate by Dec. 15 for graduation in the spring term (May) or July 15 for graduation in the fall (October).

  • To graduate in May, all coursework must be completed by April.
  • To graduate in in October, all coursework must be completed by August.

If you miss an application deadline, you can always apply at a later date. Information on graduation can be found here.

I need help with my writing. Does the department offer assistance?

Any student who needs help with writing is encouraged to visit the Centre for Academic Communication (formerly The Writing Centre) for support developing academic writing and communication skills.

I have a learning disability and need more time for exams and assignments. Who do I contact?

The Centre for Accessible Learning should be your first point of contact before and during your studies. The Centre will provide you with resources and support for accessible learning. You should also notify your instructors immediately.

How do I receive tuition receipts for Income Tax purposes?

The University will provide an online receipt through your Online Tools for income tax purposes in February for fees assessed in the previous calendar year. You should also keep the receipt for your Diploma Program Application fee as it is tax deductible. If you have registered in a non-credit course, your registration receipt can be used for your income tax.

Do I have access to the University Library?

Yes, you have the same access to the library and other services as all students at UVic. Library services can be accessed electronically by NetLink ID.

Print Page Back to Social Justice Studies