Intercultural Studies and Practice ISP FAQ

Do I need any specific pre-requisite courses before applying to the program?


How will I know if I’m accepted into the program?

Once you have submitted your application, it will be reviewed by the Program Coordinator within a few weeks. We will contact you if additional information is needed. If you meet admission requirements, you will receive an electronic letter of acceptance and additional information from the program Assistant.

How quickly can I complete the program?

The program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis.

If you have not registered in a course in the last 2 terms (i.e. for 8 months), you will need to complete an online Undergraduate Reregistration Application form on your UVic account and pay the reregistration fee before registering in future courses. However, you will not need to reapply to the program.

For students looking to fast-track through the program, the diploma may be completed in 8 months with full-time study (depending on course scheduling and elective choices). Concurrent undergraduate students who enter the program with acceptable core and elective courses already completed may be able to complete the program in as little as one term!

Does the program require English language proficiency?

While English language proficiency is not specifically required for acceptance to this program, it is required for acceptance to UVic.

Can I complete this program online?

No. At this time, core courses are not available by distance education, so the program cannot be completed online.

What are the fees for the program?

Type of fee


Payable to:

Special notes

Diploma application fee


Division of Continuing Studies (DCS)

Charged one time upon admission to the program only.

UVic acceptance fee


University of Victoria

Charged one time upon admission or new UVic students only and used toward tuition.

UVic undergraduate application fee


University of Victoria

For new undergraduate students only.

Registration application


University of Victoria

For returning students only.

Course tuition(for each 1.5 unit course)

$592.62 Domestic
$2,683.02 International

University of Victoria

Based on domestic fees – check the UVic website for international fees.

Student fees (per term)

The amount varies according to the number of courses taken.

University of Victoria

Includes UVSS, Athletics and UPass transit fees.

Fees are subject to an annual increase. Late fees, official transcripts, housing (of applicable), course material, and graduation fees are in addition to the fees quoted above. Please consult the UVic Calendar or UVic Accounting on the most up-to-date and accurate information on tuition and ancillary fees.

How do I declare my program?

Once you’ve been accepted into the ISP program, you will need to submit a Request to Declare Program (RDP) to declare your intention to complete the ISP program. Declaring the program will help you make decisions and track your progress towards completing your diploma. Your personal Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) report will act as an important planning tool. If you are a concurrent student completing an undergraduate degree and wish to add the ISP diploma to your student record, you can modify your program by choosing Request to Change Program through your UVic Online Tools and note the change in the "Student Note" box on the form. Are you only declaring the diploma? Simply submit a paper Request to Declare Program (RDP) form.

  • You can access the RPC through Online Tools where it is listed under the Grades and Records tab.
  • For students with limited access to the internet, or for those only declaring the ISP program, the RDP form and program change form are available for download or you can drop by the Academic Advising Centre to pick-up a form in person.

Do you accept transfer credit?

Up to 3.0 units of transfer credits may be approved as elective credits. Transfer courses must be equivalent to UVic courses.

How do I access my transcripts/tax receipts/grades/change my address?

All this and more can be done by signing in to your UVic Online Tools.

Where do I go for program advising?

The Program Coordinator is available to help with:

  • general program advising
  • choosing classes
  • registration help
  • transfer credits
  • operation of and changes to the undergraduate program
  • practicum and final project placements and assessment
  • graduation

Please contact us to discuss further.

NOTE: If you want to complete the ISP program concurrently with your undergraduage degree, it is important that you make an appointment to talk to an Advisor at The Academic Advising Centre for Humanities, Science and Social Sciences, so you can ensure that the requirements for both credentials are being met. You don't want any surprises when it comes time to graduate.


Can I complete the ISP diploma AND a Bachelor's degree (or any undergraduate degree) at the same time?

Yes! Completing the diploma in Intercultural Studies and Practice along with an undergraduate degree means you will not only graduate with two credentials, but will be equipped with invaluable and applicable skills as you move into your career or further your education in graduate school! Graduating with two credentials will give you a leg up over your peers graduating with only their undergraduate degree.

Most students completing an undergraduate degree in the Faculties of Fine Arts, Humanities, Human and Social Development, Business, Social Science, or Education can complete two credentials with no extra time or financial commitments! Often core ISP courses can be used toward elective courses in your BA major program, and core courses for your BA major program can be used as electives toward the ISP diploma. Please note that in order to share courses between programs, you must graduate from both programs at the same time.

Please contact us to discuss further or see which courses you have already completed could be used toward an ISP diploma!

Do I need to stay in school longer to complete both my ISP diploma and BA?

Not usually. If you join the ISP program in your 3rd year of undergraduate studies, you will usually be able to complete all requirements for both your BA major program as well as the ISP diploma in two years. Additionally, many students join the ISP program only to discover they have already competed a number of core or elective courses for the program and are well on their way to finishing! Please contact us to discuss further or see which courses you have already completed could be used toward an ISP diploma!

How do I add ISP to my major program?

After completing the online application to the Intercultural Studies and Practice program, complete a Program Change Request form on your account to add the program to your student record.

Once I’m accepted, when can I start taking courses?

You can register for courses as soon as you are accepted into the program. Students who are already admitted to UVic can register for courses at any time.

How do I register for courses?

Intercultural Studies and Practice program students register for courses through the normal UVic registration system, Online Tools. Step-by-step tutorials for registration are available here. Students with questions can call 250-721-8142 or 8143 for personal assistance or email

Can I register for courses without being a program student?

Yes. Undergraduate students may register in any of the core course options for the ISP program at any time. In fact, many students complete courses that count toward the ISP diploma without even realizing it!

How do I choose which courses to take?

This program involves the completion of four required core courses, four elective courses, and a practicum/final project. Program students can begin their studies with any core or elective course. The practicum/final project however, should not be completed until your last term/year of study.

Will I be taking classes with the regular students at UVic?

Yes, you will attend courses with students registered in Bachelor's programs at UVic.

How do I register for non-credit courses?

There are two courses—ISP 420: Special Topics in Intercultural Studies and Practice and ISP 430: Facilitating Intercultural Relationships—for which you can register through the Division of Continuing Studies as a non-credit registrant.

What's the difference between auditing and non-credit registration?

Participants who audit a class, attend for personal enrichment without the benefit of assessment. Non-credit participants are expected to attend all classes, come prepared to class, participate in course discussions, participate in group work and complete all class readings and assignments. In short: full participation is required from non-credit registrants. Please remember that the majority of registrants in these courses will be 4th year university students completing the course from University credit. Non-credit participants should expect academic rigour and should take their registration in the course as a serious professional and personal development opportunity. Upon completion, participants who have completed all requirements will be issued a Certificate of Completion from the program office. Not all courses are available for audit or non-credit.

I’m working full-time. Will I be able to find the courses I need in the evenings?

While some courses may be scheduled in the late afternoon or evening, others are scheduled in the morning or early afternoon, so some degree of flexibility in your work schedule is needed to participate.

I’m trying to register for a course, but the registration system says that there is a "prerequisite error". What should I do?

If you don’t meet a course prerequisite but believe you have other background experience that qualifies you to take the course, you should contact the instructor of the course by email to seek their permission directly.

If the instructor grants permission, it is up to you to forward confirmation to the Undergraduate Secretary in the home department of the course. He/she will then do a permission override which will allow you to register for the course (or, alternatively, the Undergraduate Secretary may just register you directly at the same time as overriding the course permission).

For the core course requirements, when it says to choose "one of HSTR 329 A or HSTR 329B". Does that mean I can ONLY choose ONE course to go towards my degree? Or could I take another course in those categories to complete the diploma?

While only one of the core course options will be used toward fulfilling your core courses for the program, any additional courses taken from the list of “or” options will count as electives toward your diploma.

I’m having trouble registering for courses. Who do I contact?

The ISP Program Coordinator should be your first point of contact.

How many courses can I register for?

Except with the written approval of the Dean, the maximum course load per term is 9.0 units (six courses) and includes studies taken elsewhere.

How do I find out which courses are being offered?

There are three ways to find out what courses are being offered:

  1. Through the UVic Timetable
  2. Through Online Tools using "Class Search"
  3. Through the UVic Calendar

To help plan your timetable, use this timetable worksheet.

A CRN is a unique five-digit course registration number that you’ll need to register for courses. You will find course CRN’s while looking up classes in the timetable or Online Tools class search.

What does the section (A01, A02, T03, etc.) mean?

Courses are assigned section numbers that start with a letter which identifies the type of section. Lecture sections start with an "A," lab sections start with a "B," and tutorial sections start with a "T." They are followed by a two-digit sequence number which differentiates between more than one offering of a course per term.

How do I get on a waitlist?

If the course is full and has an active waitlist, you can choose to go on the waitlist while registering in Online Tools. Choose Waitlisted from the Action pull-down list, then click on Submit Changes. You will then have to confirm that you want to waitlist by clicking again. Go to the Waitlisting menu option to monitor your position, confirm your place, drop from the waitlist and register in the class.

What is the difference between a lecture and a seminar course?

Size and level. Seminar courses are generally offered at the fourth-year year level with less than 20 students registered. Assessment for participation is usually greater in seminar courses.

How many hours will I need to set aside for each course?

During the regular winter session (September – April), you will spend three hours a week in class for each course. Summer (May – August) class schedules vary and may include more intensive classes. In addition to in-class time, you should plan to spend another three to six hours per week outside of class reading reference materials and completing assignments. Please keep in mind that learning styles vary and the hours listed above are approximate.

How do I graduate?

You should apply to graduate in your last term of study. Once you have checked your graduation requirements, you should apply to graduate by Dec. 15 for graduation in the spring term (May) or July 15 for graduation in the fall (October).

  • To graduate in May, all coursework must be completed by April.
  • To graduate in in October, all coursework must be completed by August.

If you miss an application deadline, you can always apply at a later date. Information on graduation can be found here.

I notice that the requirements for the diploma have changed somewhat over the years. Which requirements apply to me?

Your program will normally be governed by the regulations in effect at the date of your first registration in the program. If the requirements change in subsequent UVic Calendars before you have finished your degree, you can usually elect to take advantage of those changes if it’s in your interest to do so.

How do I apply for Co-op?

Detailed information on the Intercultural Studies and Practice Co-op can be found at the Humanities, Fine Arts and Professional Writing Co-op website.

Are there job opportunities for ISP students at UVic?

Yes. Workstudy positions both directly with Intercultural Studies and Practice, as well as in other departments focussing on intercultural activities, are posted in September of every year. For more information see the UVic Work Study Office. You will have to qualify to be eligible for work/study positions. Contact Student Awards and Financial Aid for information on how to qualify.

Are there volunteer opportunities for ISP students?

Many ISP students find volunteer placements with local intercultural organizations in the city themselves, but we’d be more than happy to provide you with suggestions of organizations that could use your help! Please note that an active volunteer role in the community is not required for the ISP program and is separate from any practicum requirements.

What are the options for experiential or applied learning for ISP students?

A number of our core courses—as well as ISP 420: Special Topics in Intercultural Studies and Practice—have strong experiential or applied learning opportunities. In addition, the practicum and final project are fully applied and are a way to put your learning to hands-on use in the community or through a project.

What types of jobs can I get with an ISP diploma?

We have former students working for the government, in law/social services, education, business, non-governmental organizations and non-profit organizations locally, nationally and internationally, as well as in many other fields. See our career options and alumni pages for more information.

I need help with my writing. Does the department offer assistance?

Any student who needs help with writing is encouraged to visit the Centre for Academic Communication (formerly The Writing Centre) for support developing academic writing and communication skills.

I have a learning disability and need more time for exams and assignments. Who do I contact?

The Centre for Accessible Learning should be your first point of contact before and during your studies. The Center will provide you with resources and support for accessible learning. You should also notify your instructors immediately.

How do I receive tuition receipts for income tax purposes?

The University will provide an online receipt through Online Tools for income tax purposes in February for fees assessed in the previous calendar year. You should also keep the receipt for your Diploma Program Application fee as it is tax deductible. If you have registered in a non-credit course, your registration receipt can be used for your income tax.

Do I have access to the University Library?

Yes, you have the same access to the library and other services as all students at UVic. Library services can be accessed electronically by NetLink ID.

Print Page BACK