Put to the Test: Vocabulary
Practise using vocabulary from the reading.
Click on the box beside the correct answer.
People have to train hard before they run in a marathon race. A marathon is _______________ .
- a long distance race
- a short race
- a relay race invoving teams of runners
What word below could replace the word "strategies" in the next sentence? The company needs to develop strategies for increasing production and sales.
The order in which things happen is called a _______________ of events.
What word or words below could replace the word "skip" in the next sentence. I'm not very hungry, so I'm going to skip dessert.
- eat just a little
- eat very quickly
- not eat
- eat a lot
The author suggests having a back-up plan if your lucky charm doesn't help during a test. A back-up plan is _______________ .
- a four-leaf clover
- an excuse or reason why you can't write a test
- a second plan you can put into action if your first plan fails
Scanning means _______________ .
- looking at a text slowly and carefully to find such things as names, numbers, or places
- looking at a text quickly to find out what the reading is mainly about
- looking at a text quickly to find such things as names, numbers, or places
If you have a headache, it sometimes helps to rub your temples. Your temples are the parts of the face _______________ .
- below the eyes
- in front of your ears and below your cheeks
- in front of the ears and above the cheeks
What does the word "massage" mean in the next sentence? After the game, he had to massage his sore muscles.
How is the word "focused" used in the next sentence? During the performance, the audience focused their attention on the main actor and actress.
- as a verb meaning to make something clearer or easier to see
- as a verb meaning to have one's attention on or pay attention to
- as a verb meaning to see things better
What does the word "apply" mean in the following sentence? To do well on tests, students must apply what they learn from their teachers.
- make a copy of
- study hard
- make use of