The Division of Continuing Studies is very fortunate to have a Regulated International Students Immigration Advisor (RISIA) as part of its Registration and Student Services Team, Katie McDonald.

Katie is an amazing source of guidance for our staff and students. She was kind enough to share the answers to questions she receives most frequently, based on her RISIA training, so that our agent and partner community can better understand these important policies.

It is important to note that the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) policies are subject to change without notice. Please review the IRCC website regularly for the most up to date information.

Does the Division of Continuing Studies have a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number?

Yes, the Division of Continuing Studies at the University of Victoria (UVic) falls under the same DLI number as UVic.

Can I apply for a study permit if my program is less than 6 months?

Yes. Applying for a study permit for a short-term program can be beneficial if you decide you want to study in a longer program once you are in Canada. If you apply for a study permit when studying in a program of less than 6 months, you should include a letter with your application to explain why you want a study permit.

Does the Certificate in Business Administration (CBA) and/or Diploma in Business Administration (DBA) qualify students for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?

The CBA and DBA programs both satisfy the academic requirements for application for the PGWP, and previously, students in these programs have successfully applied for and received approval for a PGWP. Immigration policies are subject to change; as such, we cannot guarantee that students will receive a PGWP upon completion of these program. Students should continue to monitor the IRCC web page for updates on PGWP.

How long will the PGWP be valid?

As indicated on the IRCC website, students who are studying in a program that is 2 years or more, may be eligible for a PGWP valid up to 3 years. If your program is more than 8 months, but less than 2 years, you may be issued a PGWP that is valid for the length of your study program.

When do students apply for a PGWP? 

The PGWP is only available to students once in their lifetime. Students may apply for the PGWP after they have successfully completed their program of study and they receive their final grades. 

How long is the processing time for PGWP?

The processing time for PGWP varies based on the number of applications they have received. 

Am I allowed to work while my PGWP is in process?

You may be eligible to work full-time until a decision is made on your work permit application if a) you had a valid study permit when you submitted your application and completed your program of study and b) if you were eligible to work off-campus while you were studying and you didn't work more hours than permitted.

What is the "full-time studies" definition for the CBA and DBA Programs offered by the Division of Continuing Studies?

The Division of Continuing Studies deems full-time status for the CBA and DBA programs as studying a minimum of 3 courses per term.

Where can I find updates on special COVID-19 policy measures for international students?

Please consult the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's (IRCC) website for the latest immigration information and special, temporary policy measures related to COVID-19, including travelling to Canada restrictions, study permit application and PGWP eligibility information.


  • Posted November 10, 2020