Secrets of a Happy Brain: Vocabulary
Practise using vocabulary from the reading.
Click on the box beside the correct answer.
A person who volunteers _______________ .
- works hard for very little money
- can earn a lot of money by working at several jobs
- works hard without receiving any payment
- must have a degree from a university
What words below could replace the word shelter in the following sentence? Our ancestors needed food and shelter.
- weapons to defend themslves against wild animals
- a place to live
- a way of hunting
Your ancestors are members of your family who _______________ .
- lived a long time ago
- are living now
- will be born in the future
When you lose track of time, _______________ .
- time seems to stand still
- time seems to go by slowly
- Time seems to pass quickly
- you don't have enough time
When you treat a cold, you _______________ .
- start to feel better without taking any medicine
- take medicine to feel better
- catch a cold from someone else
- give your cold to someone else
Look at this sentence from the reading. "Some research has shown that exercise is just as effective as medication in treating depression." This means that _______________ .
- people need exercise, not medicine, when they suffer from depression
- people suffering from depression need both exercise and medicine
- people can choose to exercise or take medication when they suffer from depression
- people need medicine, not exercise, if they suffer from depression
A person who was depressed would probably _______________ .
- feel they had a lot to be thankful for
- think positively about their situation
- feel nothing could improve their situation
The reading states that exercise can be effective in treating depression. What kind of word is effective?
- an adverb
- a verb
- an adjective
- a noun
Psychologists are people who _______________ .
- study the history of mankind, from earliset times until now
- study the brain and how people behave
- study different ways of treating injury or illness in people
People who have mutual respect _______________ .
- have respect for one another
- have respect for other people
- don't have respect for each other