Modals of Ability 1 - Can, Could, Be able to, May, Might
Choose the best modal for each sentence.
Click on the box beside the best answer.
- Peter ____________ swim when he was a child, but now he ____________. In fact, he swims every day!
- could / can't
- couldn't / can't
- couldn't / can
- My cat ____________ jump, but it ____________ talk.
- can / can't
- can't / can
- ____________ you play the piano when you were a child?
- She ____________ understand Korean very well, but she ____________ speak it perfectly.
- is able to / cannot
- be able to / cannot
- is able to / is able to
- I'm going to bring an umbrella today because it ____________ rain.
- is able to
- ____________ I borrow your dictionary?
- Am I able to
- George is absent from class today. He ____________ be sick.
- is able to
- When Vera was young, she ____________ type quickly. She took a typing class and now she ____________ type very quickly!
- could not / can to
- could not / can
- can / could
- Kevin was disappointed because he ____________ get tickets for the football game.
- weren't able to
- wasn't able to
- Sara ____________ Italian food and she ____________ French food too!
- can cooks / can cooks
- can cooking / can cooking
- can cook / is able to cook
- The little girl asked, "Mommy, ____________ I have a cookie?" The mother said, "Yes, you ____________."
- can / are able to
- may / might
- can / can
- The family can't decide where to go on vacation. They ____________ go to Los Angeles or they ____________ go to Hawaii.
- might / may
- could / couldn't
- may / are able to
- ____________ dogs fly? No, of course not!
- Do can