Arrival to UVic and dormitory check-in
Cultural Assistants (CAs) will be at the airport from 9:00am to 9:00pm to assist you.
To get to UVic, taxi services are available from the airport.
- Students who have registered for dormitory accommodation should check in at the UVic Housing Office the day before your program starts any time after 3:00pm. The staff there will give you a key to your assigned room as well as directions to your room and the cafeteria.
- The accommodation fee covers the cost of accommodation for the nights of your program. Students are expected to check out by 11:00am on the day after your program ends.
- Extra Dormitory Fee: Please inform the ELC of any extra night dormitory accommodation required. We will make the arrangements for you. The extra night dorm fee is paid directly to the Housing Office upon arrival. This is not paid to the ELC.
- The extra nights' fee is $40.00 (excluding taxes) per night for any extra nights requested. This fee does not include meals.
- Note: This will only affect the extra nights you are staying. A meal plan will be included for the nights indicated for your specific program(s).
- Students who arrive early or stay late may be placed in a building other than the program building for the additional night.
- Only single rooms are available for your program.
The following is generally included when living in UVic dormitories:
- Single rooms with beds (sheets, blankets and pillows), dresser, desk and mirror.
- Shared bathrooms with showers, toilets, sinks, mirrors and toilet paper. Students must bring their own bath and hand towels. There are NO towels in the bathrooms.
- Free Wi-Fi which can be accessed using UVic Netlink account.
- OneCard with meal plan for 2-3 meals per day. Adding money to OneCards can be done at the OneCard Office located inside University Centre. Visit the University Food Services website for additional information.
The Community Living Handbook outlines everything you need to know about living in UVic dormitories, including your rights and responsibilities in the residence community. This is an important document that current and prospective residents should read to better understand the community you are joining, the rights and expectations we all share, and the potential consequences for inappropriate behaviour.
It is important to note the following rules:
- No smoking in buildings including roof and balconies (it’s the law). Smoking is permitted outside in designated areas with red benches.
- No alcohol or cannabis in public areas (it’s the law) – including lounges and outside. If students are 19 years or older, they can drink in their room with the door closed.
- Quiet time in residences is Sunday-Thursday 10:00pm-8:00am and Friday and Saturday from 12:00am-10:00am
If students break the laws regarding smoking and drinking alcohol, they can be asked to leave UVic dormitories.
Additional information about dormitories:
- Dormitory buildings have mixed nationalities and each wing of the building is divided by gender. Bathrooms are also divided by gender.
- Please speak English in public areas such as dormitory lounges.
- UVic Housing Office is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. They can assist if students get locked out or lose their keys. They also sell laundry soap and laundry cards. Irons are available in each laundry room.
- On-site laundry facilities are located in each building or residence area. Students must purchase a card from the Housing Office and put money on it in order to operate laundry machines.
- Live-in Cultural Assistants provide student support.
- Campus Security is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week in case of emergency.
- UVic Residences provides a clean linen exchange for sheets and pillow cases once per week on a designated day.
- Garbage and recycling facilities are available outside the residence buildings. Vacuum cleaners and a courtesy phone (local calls only) are available.