The following is genersally included when living in UVic dormitories:
- Single rooms with beds (sheets, blankets and pillows), dresser, desk and mirror.
- Shared bathrooms with showers, toilets, sinks, mirrors and toilet paper. Students must bring
- their own bath and hand towels. There are NO towels in the bathrooms.
- Free Wi-Fi which can be accessed using UVic Netlink account.
- OneCard with meal plan for 2-3 meals per day. Adding money to OneCards can be done at the OneCard Office located inside University Centre. Visit the University Food Services website for additional information.
The Community Living Handbook outlines everything you need to know about living in UVic dormitories, including your rights and responsibilities in the residence community. This is an important document that all current and prospective residents should read to better understand the community you are joining, the rights and expectations we all share, and the potential consequences for inappropriate behaviour.
It is important to note the following rules:
- No smoking in buildings including roof and balconies (it’s the law). Smoking is permitted outside in designated areas with red benches.
- No alcohol in public areas (it’s the law) – including lounges and outside. If students are 19 years or older, they can drink in their room with the door closed.
- Quiet time in residences is Sunday-Thursday 9:00pm-8:00am and Friday and Saturday from 12:00am-10:00am
If students break the laws regarding smoking and drinking alcohol, they can be asked to leave UVic dormitories.
Additional information about dormitories:
- Dormitory buildings have mixed nationalities and each wing of the building is divided by gender. Bathrooms are also divided by gender.
- English in public areas such as dormitory lounges.
- UVic Housing Office is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week. They can assist in cases of lock outs and lost keys. They also sell laundry soap and laundry cards. Irons are available in each laundry room.
- On-site laundry facilities are located in each building or residence area. Students must purchase a card from the Housing Office and put money on it in order to operate laundry machines.
- Live-in Cultural Assistants provide student support.
- Campus Security is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week in case of emergency.
- UVic Residences provides a clean linen exchange for sheets and pillow cases once per week on a designated day.
- Garbage and recycling facilities are available outside the residence buildings. Vacuum cleaners and a courtesy phone (local calls only) are available in specified areas throughout residence.