Toss your limits, embrace your potential!
Are you looking to advance your professional development and succeed in the competitive job market? Continuing Studies at UVic is proud to be supporting the StrongerBC Future Ready Action Plan to help you reach your full potential. The StrongerBC future skills grant, created by the Government of British Columbia, is designed to help eligible BC students’ progress in their careers and fill in-demand jobs. You could receive up to $3,500 to be put towards short-term skills training at BC public post-secondary institutions. This grant will build a future-ready workforce of 8,500 newly trained professionals over the next three years, which will help fill the skill gap. Don’t miss your chance to take your career to the next level!
What's new for 2024
StrongerBC has announced that funding for the future skills grant will only be available in the winter semester (January to March) for midstream learners.
If you took a program funded by the future skills grant in the fall of 2023 and need additional courses in the winter of 2024 to complete that programming, you may be considered a midstream learner.
Midstream learners now have access to the remaining funds in their $3,500 lifetime grant for the winter 2024 semester. Learners who are not defined as midstream will need to wait for future semesters to begin or continue using their grant.
For more information and eligibility criteria for midstream learners, visit the StrongerBC future skills grant website.
To be eligible for the StrongerBC future skills grant, you:
- must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person entitled to study in Canada
- are a B.C. resident and currently live in BC
- must be 19 years or older or have graduated high school by the start of your course/program
- need to provide consent for the University of Victoria to disclose your information to the province of British Columbia
- should not be receiving duplicative and/or overlapping funding to cover eligible costs (i.e. grants, loans, scholarships or other funding that covers the same program costs as the StrongerBC future skills grant)
You should also understand that:
- FSG benefits may have tax implications
- the FSG is subject to a lifetime maximum of $3,500
- if you are receiving any federal or provincial benefit, such as Employment Insurance (EI) or BC Employment Assistance (BCEA), you must seek approval from the appropriate government body before participating in a program
- the amount of FSG funding you receive is subject to review and audit
What does the future skills grant cover?
Funding from the future skills grant can be used for:
- your programs tuition fee
- program/course materials such as textbooks, required program software and tools
Note: This grant can't be put towards childcare, living allowances and transportation.
How to apply for the future skills grant
- Review your eligibility above.
- Find a program you are interested in and make sure you meet any admission requirements. Follow any application steps if relevant.
- When registering for the courses that make up the program, simply select the StrongerBC Future Skills Grant skills grant fee type.
- Once in your shop cart, you will be asked to declare that you meet the eligibility for this grant. After which you can choose to apply your grant amount to your courses.
Future skills grant fee type on sample course page:
The following programs are approved for FSG funding:
- Administrative Technology
- Business Communication
- Business Finance
- Business Intelligence and Data Analytics
- Climate Action Planning
- Collections Management
- Designing Learning for a Changing Workplace
- Designing Learning for a Hybrid Workplace
- Digital Planning for the Cultural Sector
- Ecological Restoration
- Emergency Management for Organizational Continuity
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Indigenous Cultural Stewardship
- Indigenous Language Documentation
- Mapping with Drones
- Marketing Communication
- Population Health Data Analysis
- Visitor and Community Engagement