Modals of Possibility and Probability with Continuous Tenses - Exercise 2
Choose the correct modal to complete the sentence.
Click on the button beside the correct answer.
PERSON A: Where's Jenny?
PERSON B: She said she was tired. She
- is sleeping.
- must have been sleeping.
- must be sleeping.
- might be sleeping.
Fred and Dorothy haven't arrived yet, and it's getting late. They _____________________________________________
- might not be coming.
- might have come.
- might come.
- must have come.
PERSON A: John's girlfriend suddenly broke up with him.
PERSON B: Really? He _____________________________________
- might be feeling awful.
- is feeling awful.
- maybe awful.
- must be feeling awful.
PERSON A: I played the piano in front of a large audience for the first time.
PERSON B: You _______________________________________________
- might have been feeling nervous.
- must have been nervous.
- should have been feeling nervous.
- felt nervous.
Ben's foot is bandaged and he is limping today. He __________________________________________________
- might have injured his foot playing soccer.
- must have injured his foot playing soccer.
- might have been injuring his foot playing soccer.
- must have been injuring his foot playing soccer.
PERSON A: What's all that shouting about?
PERSON B: The neighbours ___________________________________________
- might be having another fight.
- must have another fight.
- have another fight.
- must be having another fight.
Jim was fine until the cat came close to him. Then he began sneezing. He _____________________________________
- might have an allergy to cats.
- might be having an allergy to cats.
- must have an allergy to cats.
- is having an allergy to cats.
Look at Tom. He is sweating and appears to be out of breath. He _________________________________________
- must be running.
- must have been running.
- could run.
- will have been running.
There are lots of cars parked outside the house at the end of the block. They ______________________________________________
- must be having a party.
- must have had a party.
- will be having a party.
- have a party.
When I saw Trevor after the soccer match, his foot was bandaged and he was limping. He ______________________________________ during the game.
- might have injured it
- has been injuring it during the game.
- might have been injuring it
- must have injured it