Modals of Possibility and Probability for Past Situations - Exercise 1
Choose the correct modal to complete the sentence.
Click on the button beside the correct answer.
Paul's class starts at 8:30. It's 8:45 and he's not here yet. He _____________________________________________
- might have missed the bus.
- must be sick.
- must have missed the bus.
- must have been sick.
Our son promised to clean his room, but it is still messy. He ___________________________________________
- cannot clean it.
- couldn't to have cleaned it.
- can't clean it.
- couldn't have cleaned it.
Look! Our car isn't in the driveway! Somebody _________________________________________
- must be stealing it.
- could have stolen it.
- might have stolen it.
- must have stolen it.
Betty said she was hungry, but she didn't eat very much after all. She _______________________________________________
- couldn't have been hungry.
- couldn't like the food.
- couldn't have liked the food.
- can't like the food.
My friend promised to pick me up at 7:00. It's now 7:25 and I don't see him. He _________________________________________
- might forget.
- might have forgotten.
- might be forgetting.
- must have forgotten.
My plants are dead. I ________________________________________________
- can't not have given them enough water.
- couldn't give them enough water.
- can't have given them enough water.
- must give them more water.
My white shirt now has green streaks in it. I ____________________________________________
- can't wash it properly.
- must not have not washed it properly.
- can't have washed it properly.
- must to wash it properly.
The twins have guilty expressions on their faces. They ________________________________________
- might have done something naughty.
- might do something naughty.
- must have done something naughty.
- must do something naughty.
I don't know why he hasn't called me back. He __________________________________________________
- must have forgotten my number.
- might be forgetting my number.
- might forget my number.
- might have forgotten my number.
The hockey player's injury kept him out of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. He _____________________________________
- must have been disappointed.
- must have been disappointing.
- might have been disappointed.
- must have been disappointment.