A study of language in its social context, covering aspects of linguistic variation within and across speech communities. Topics may include:
- language and class, gender, age, situation and ethnicity
- languages in contact (pidgin and creole languages)
- code switching and standardization
- rules of conversation and respectful address
- societal features of language change
How to register
Registration is limited to UVic undergraduate students. Students should register themselves via UVic’s MyPage.
Please contact the Department of Linguistics directly for any inquiries regarding this course.
Additional course details
1.5 units of LING courses or admission to the Diploma in Intercultural Studies and Practice.