Online Registration FAQ


A NetLink ID is a unique personal identifier which is used as your username for various services provided by the University of Victoria. You also need a NetLink ID to access online courses.

Before you can apply for a NetLink ID, you must have a UVic student number (a "V-number") and you must be registered in at least one course. If this is your first course at UVic and you have not already received your UVic student number, please contact Registration.


No. You can login with your NetLink ID and start registering for courses right away!

If you've forgotten your password, you can go to the Recover your password page and follow the instructions. The steps vary depending on whether you have a NetLink ID or not. If you’re still having trouble, please contact Registration Services

Sign in to your Continuing Studies account to update your:

  • Preferred first name
  • Email address
  • Mailing address
  • Phone numbers
  • Emergency contacts

To change your legal name, please contact our registration team.

Preferred name
Your preferred first name is the name by which you are normally addressed and can be different than your legal first name on your Continuing Studies at UVic student record. Your preferred name appears on:

  • Your student record
  • Your ONECard
  • Class and grade lists for your courses
  • Online course sites
  • Some university communications

You can update your preferred first name at any time by updating your contact info in your Continuing Studies account.


Legal name

Your legal name appears on your:

  • Student record
  • Official letters and transcript
  • Tax forms
  • Certificate or Diploma

Please contact our registration team to change your legal name. You will be asked for supporting documentation.


Shop cart

Adults 18+ can register for Continuing Studies courses. 

The guidance that we have received from our legal department is that the Division of Continuing Studies should refrain from registering underage students in our programs and courses that are intended for adults. The courses are not designed with the younger student in mind, nor are the instructors in those courses subject to the same hiring process for courses or programs with underage students.

You can only register one person for a course using the online registration system. We are looking into ways to improve the registration system so you can register more than one person. In the meantime, please contact Registration. We'll help you register multiple people in the same course.

If you add a course to your Shop Cart, it will stay there even if you logout. Visit your Shop Cart to continue your registration.

If you are logged in, there will be a button that says "SIGN OUT" at the top-right corner of your screen. If the button says "SIGN IN", it means you are not logged in. Click the "SIGN IN" button to login.

You can't register for credit courses through you have to register through My Page at You must also be admitted to the University of Victoria to register in credit courses.

Most Continuing Studies course at are available for anyone to take. 

However certain courses that are part of programs require you to apply (and be admitted) to the program before you can register for courses in that program. But each program has different requirements. Please visit the individual coure and program pages for more information.

No: you must follow the payment guidelines when registering for a course or applying to a program. Instructors will not accept payment in person.


Next steps

Our withdrawl policy varies depending on the course. Please check the refund and withdrawal policies on each course page for more information.

In general, a refund minus an administration fee is possible if you let us know in person or by phone (250-472-4747), at least:

  • seven days before the start of a short-term course, workshop or conference
  • before the second class for courses that run over a period of several weeks

We are not at liberty to divulge the contact information for our instructors without their prior approval. But you can contact the program area offering your course, explain your wishes and someone will contact your instructor and ask them to get in touch with you.

You will receive an Access Letter from the program delivering your course. The date you can sign in to your online course will be listed as well as details for how to access your course.