Campus parking changes coming this summer
Starting in June 2017, UVic will be implementing changes to the way parking services are delivered on campus. These changes will bring enhancements from a customer service standpoint, as well as allow the introduction of future initiatives such as pay-by-cell service.
So what kind of changes are taking place?
- Customers will enter their licence plate number at the parking dispenser.
- Coming in the fall of 2017, they will introduce Licence Plate Recognition (see below) for enforcement. This will be performed by staff using a camera equipped vehicle that reads licence plates to determine parking permission by comparing plates to a database of paid parking transactions.
- With the addition of Licence Plate Recognition, in the fall of 2017, customers will no longer need to return to their vehicle to display a dispenser permit on their dash.
- Customers can get to their destination faster by not having to return to their vehicle.
- Less paper use helps to achieve campus sustainability goals.
- Officers on patrol are more efficient.
- Allows for the future use of mobile payment technology (if approved by the university for campus use)
For full details on the new parking changes, visit: https://www.uvic.ca/security/parking/