Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 course registration is now open! Courses can fill up fast, so be sure to register early to get your seat. Call the Continuing Studies Registration Desk 250-472-4747or stop by in person (2nd floor, Continuing Studies Building) weekdays 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Fall 2016 term
- ER 313 (Biodiversity and Conservation Biology) – Sept. 12 to Dec. 11 (Online) Now FULL – Call to join waiting list
- ER 332 (Selection and Propagation of Native Plants for Ecological Restoration) – Sept.12 to Dec. 4 (Online) Now FULL – Call to join waiting list
- ER 312B (Field Study in Ecological Restoration II) – Sept. 22 to 26 (In person) Now FULL – Call to join waiting list
- ER 331 (Urban Restoration & Sustainable Agricultural Systems) – Nov. 9 to 13 (In person)
- ER 326 (Traditional Systems of Land and Resource Management) – Nov. 9 to 13 (In person)
- ER 390 (Environmental Restoration Project) and ER 400 (Seminar in Environmental Restoration) are available for registration in the Fall 2016 term – contact Val Schaefer to discuss your project.
Spring 2017 term
- ER 311 (Principles and Concepts of Ecological Restoration) – Jan. 2 to April 9 (Online)
- ER 314 (Ethical, Legal and Policy Aspects of Environmental Restoration) – Jan. 2 to April 2 (Online)
- ER 338B (Special Topics: Fire Ecology) – Feb. 23 to 27 (In person)
- ER 335B (Restoration of Marine Aquatic Systems) – March 17 to 21 (In person)
- ER 390 (Environmental Restoration Project) and ER 400 (Seminar in Environmental Restoration)
- ER 504 (Invasive Species and Novel Ecosystems) – Sept. 12 to Dec. 4 (Online)
- ER 503 (Restoration Ecology) – Jan. 2 to April 2 (Online)
Save the Date: RNS 20th Anniversary Celebration
We hope you can join us at UVic for our 20th anniversary celebration on Friday, Oct. 14 starting at 4 pm. Details will be sent by email in September or you are welcome to contact us for more information. It will be a great opportunity to mingle with other program participants and celebrate the achievements of RNS students over the past 20 years.
In the meantime, we welcome your feedback on how the RNS program has impacted you. Please send your comments to Laura Biggs. Thanks in advance for your participation.
Restoration Advisory Committee: Student rep needed
The Restoration Advisory Committee is a group of educators and industry professionals who support development of the RNS and ER programs. We are seeking the valuable input of a student representative on this committee. The time commitment is two 1.5-hour meetings per year for a period of two years, and the meetings can be attended in person or by phone. Please contact Laura Biggs if you would like more information about this opportunity.
Student resources webpage
As part of the new Continuing Studies website, there is a new link for restoration-related student resources. Check it out here: continuingstudies.uvic.ca/science-and-ecological-restoration/programs/rns-student-resources. Suggestions for the page are welcome!
RNS diploma students: Co-op applications due Sept. 20
If you are an RNS diploma student who has completed most of the core courses, you are eligible to apply to the co-op program. In this program, you’ll complete one or two work terms in positions relating to ecological restoration. Applications are due Tuesday, Sept. 20 — see the website for more information or contact Co-op Coordinator Helen Kobrc.
Update: Checking your grades
As we will no longer be automatically emailing Records of Grade upon course completion, we encourage you to check your final grades online. Depending on whether you are a credit or non-credit student, there are different places to check your final course grades.
- If you are an RNS diploma (credit) student: you can view your grades by logging in to the UVic website and searching under "My online tools".
- If you are an RNS certificate or ER certificate (non-credit) student: you can view your grades by logging in to the Continuing Studies website. Once logged in, navigate to your account name in the top right of your screen, and click on “Transcripts and statements” in the dropdown menu. Then select "Administrative transcript".
REMINDER: Course outlines
If you’re having trouble deciding which electives to take, sometimes it helps to check out the course outline. Please contact Laura Biggs to see a course outline from a previous offering (if the new one isn’t available yet). This will give you an idea of the types of assignments, readings, activities, etc. to expect so you can register with confidence.
Save the Date: GOERT Colloquium
The Garry Oak Ecosystem Recovery Team (GOERT) will be holding a research colloquium at UVic on Friday, Nov. 18. More information about the research theme and the speaker schedule will be available in early fall at goert.ca/activities.
Potential ER390 project
The CRD’s Island View Beach Regional Park Draft Management Plan came out this year and there is interest in developing and conducting appropriate restoration projects for the wetlands and the sand dune. If you are looking for a topic for your ER390 project, this would be an excellent opportunity. Contact Val Schaefer for more details.
Volunteer opportunity: Fort Rodd Hill
There are two Saturday volunteer events coming up at Fort Rodd Hill this month — check out the website for details or email email@example.com.
RNS diploma (credit) students are not automatically enrolled in the U-Pass, but may opt-in. To do this, we would send a Proof of Enrolment letter on your behalf to the UVSS Info Booth. Then you would visit the Info Booth (in the Student Union Building) to pay, and then the ONE Card Office (in University Centre) to validate your card. Please contact us if you’re interested.
Unfortunately, non-credit students are not eligible for the U-Pass, but can purchase a monthly bus pass at a discounted rate from our registration desk (2nd floor, Continuing Studies Building). The discounted bus pass is $77 instead of $85, and it's available to students who are full-time (minimum of three courses per term, not including online courses).
Reminder: Course Experience Survey
Your feedback is essential to continually improve our courses. Don’t forget to complete the Course Experience Survey that is emailed to you as each course draws to a close. We really appreciate it!
Get job postings, course schedules and restoration news!
Enjoy the rest of your summer and we hope to see you soon!
For more information:
Laura Biggs, Program Coordinator 250-721-8463 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Sainz, Program Assistant 250-721-8458 | email@example.com
Val Schaefer, Academic Administrator 250-472-4387 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Posted Aug. 12, 2016