La Maison Française FAQ

Is a certificate awarded?

Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive a certificate. Although this is a non-credit program, some institutions may elect to grant credit to their students who have completed LMF at UVic.

When will my level be determined?

After the orientation session on Tuesday, July 4. As the program curriculum is divided into beginner to advanced levels, you will be required to take a level assessment test.

Are there bursaries available for students?


The Explore bursary program was created in 1971 as an initiative of the Government of Canada. Through five weeks of language immersion, it gives students the opportunity to improve their knowledge of one of Canada's official languages and a chance to further understand the culture associated with it. Explore bursaries cover the cost of tuition, accommodation, meals and most sociocultural activities. Although bursaries are considered taxable income, the tuition fees can be claimed as education tax credit. T4A and T2202A tax forms will be issued.

To be eligible to apply, you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • have been a full-time student—in at least grade 11 or be at a postsecondary level—for at least one term during the current school year

Application forms and detailed information are available online. The deadline to apply is Feb. 15, 2017.

British Columbia residents can contact their provincial coordinator at:

Ministry of Education

P.O. Box 9160, STN PROV GOVT
Victoria, BC
V8W 9H3
Phone: 250-356-2516
Fax: 250-387-1470

What is (or not) included in the Explore Bursary?

Explore bursaries to attend La Maison Française cover:

  • tuition 
  • meals
  • accommodation
  • most sociocultural activities

Optional activities such as kayaking and camping will require additional contribution.

The Explore bursary does NOT cover:

  • the $275 non-refundable registration fee (payable at time of application)
  • transportation to and from the university

Explore bursary recipients MUST stay in University of Victoria residences. Accommodation will be automatically reserved for you from the afternoon of Monday, July 3 until the morning of Friday, August 4.

I am hoping to get an Explore bursary. Can I register now?

No: only once you've received an official email from our office confirming you have been granted an Explore bursary will you be able to apply and pay your registration fee. As soon as you reply to our official email and confirm your primary email address, our office will send you step-by-step procedures on how to accept (or decline) the bursary and the deadline to submit your application and registration fee. Thank you for your patience.

Please be advised that no response from you will result in cancellation of your bursary and may jeopardize any future application to the program.

Are there bursaries available for schoolteachers?

If you currently hold a BC College of Teachers Certificate, you are eligible to apply for a teacher bursary (even if you are a TOC).

As provincial governments manage bursary funds available to schoolteachers wishing to take such programs, the BC Ministry of Education assigns a set number of bursaries each year specifically to La Maison Française. The bursary amount expected for 2017 is $1,500. 

Is a bus pass included in the fees?

A bus pass is not included in your tuition fees. We do provide transportation for all organized off-campus excursions and tours, either by providing public transit tickets (for activities in Greater Victoria) or by hiring tour buses (for excursions outside of Victoria). A monthly bus pass can be purchased at the Registration Desk on the 2nd floor of the Continuing Studies building at a discounted rate of $77.

Do I have access to a gym or library on campus?

The Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities (CARSA) features state-of-the-art exercise equipment and a climbing wall. This facility is accessible to you, but the cost is not covered in your tuition fees. Day and one-month passes are available; fees are based on which services you think you’ll use at the centre. For more information, see the Vikes Recreation website

UVic ONECard

As a participant of La Maison Française you are entitled to a UVic ONECard which will provide you access to the McPherson library. To get a ONECard:

  • go to the ONECard Office located on the main floor of the University Centre and have your picture taken. You must bring a current piece of government issued photo ID as well as your UVic student number.
  • Once your photo has been taken, you will be issued your ONECard. You will be able to pick up your card after approximately 10 minutes.

The ONECard office hours are Monday to Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Although there is no initial charge for the ONEcard, replacement cards are $20.

When should I arrive to Victoria? What time does the program end on Friday, August 4?

You should plan to arrive to Victoria on Monday, July 3, between 11 am and 5 pm.

Make sure to arrange your return transportation for after 2 pm on Friday, August 4, as the official certificates will be presented that morning. Luggage storage will be available at the Residence Services office.

I would like to arrive a day earlier/I may stay a day later: how do I arrange for extra accommodation?

Extra nights must be booked and paid directly through the Residence Services office. Make a booking by phone at 250-721-8657 or by email at Make sure to let them know you are a participant of La Maison Française to ensure you receive the special rate of $34.50 per night (food not included).

How do I get to the University of Victoria?

From Victoria Airport to UVic

  • YYJ airport shuttle
  • Taxi (approximately $55)
  • Drop-off at the office of Residence Services located in the Craigdarroch office building, parking lot #5 (off Sinclair Rd).

From Vancouver Airport (YVR), downtown Vancouver Bus Depot, or Vancouver (Tsawwassen) Ferry terminal to downtown Victoria

Please see the BC Ferries Connector online information for one-way bus and ferry packages from Vancouver to downtown Victoria. Fares vary according to date, age, student status, etc.

From downtown Victoria (PCL/Bus Depot) to UVic

Catch the Mt. Tolmie #4 BC Transit bus on the corner of Douglas Street and Burdett Avenue. UVic is located at the last stop of this route.


Where do I check in? Do I have to share a room?                

You should check in at the Residence Services office, located in the Craigdarroch office building, parking lot #5, preferably before 5 pm.

Front desk staff are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week should you arrive later. Your first meal will be dinner on Monday, July 3 followed by a welcome reception.

All rooms are single occupancy. Men and women are housed on separate floors, and each floor has shared bathroom facilities.

Rooms for La Maison Française participants are located at the Poole Hall and Wilson Hall buildings in the Gordon Head Residences.

Laundry machines are available in each building. They are operated with "smart cards" that can be purchased in the front office at a vending machine.

Although mail will not be delivered to your room, you can have letters and packages sent to the Residence Services office. A photo I.D. will be required for pick up.

Are my meals included?

Yes, you are entitled to a Residence Student Meal Plan. A declining balance card will be given to you upon arrival and will be pre-loaded with the appropriate amount. You have been allotted $19.32 daily: the $19.32 has been calculated to cover a day’s worth of food for an average eater. You will receive a 30% discount on the breakfast buffet at Cadboro Commons and a 5% discount for lunch and dinner at the other dining locations on campus. If you find you need more funds, you can always add more money online or in the Housing main office. For more information, contact 250-472-4777 |

What should I pack?

Note: sheets, pillow cases and blankets will be supplied.

You should pack:

  • casual clothes for daily wear (sunny and warm days)
  • a sweater and wind/rainproof jacket (cool evenings)
  • a dressier outfit (final dinner-dance)
  • swimsuit and hiking/running shoes (daytrips)
  • alarm clock to be on time for class
  • towels and facecloths
  • school supplies (notebook, pens, etc.)

Optional items you may want to bring:

  • hair dryer
  • tablet/ laptop/ smartphone for your personal use (free Internet access in residences)
  • sleeping bag and a small flashlight (for optional camping trip)


If you have any questions regarding accommodations, please contact Residence Services.

How much money should I bring?

Although $75 to $150 per week should cover your expenses for personal needs, souvenirs, snacks, optional activities, etc., you should be guided by your usual spending habits.

Can I receive mail while staying in the UVic Residences?

Although mail will not be delivered to your room, you can have letters and packages sent to the Residence Services office. A photo I.D. will be required for pick up.

Your name
Building and room number

c/o La Maison Française
UVic Student Residences
PO Box 2100 STN CSC
Victoria BC  V8W 3A4

What happens on the last day?

Certificates will be awarded on the morning of Friday, August 4. As you may also want to have your last lunch with fellow students prior to your departure, make sure to book your flights accordingly. Luggage storage will be available at the Residence Services office.

Print Page Back to La Maison Française