FAQ for international students

Please consult the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) website for the latest immigration information, including travelling to Canada restrictions.


Yes, the Division of Continuing Studies falls under the same DLI number as the University Of Victoria, which can be found on the Designated Learning Institutions List.

If English is not your first language, you will be asked for proof of proficiency in English before you will be admitted to a Business and Management course or program. If you are admitted on the condition that you will complete an English language program to meet the English proficiency requirement, you must submit proof of successful completion before you can begin your studies.

Proof of English proficiency through one of the following:

  • Transcript showing graduation from a Canadian secondary school
  • Four years of full-time academic studies in which all language of instruction is English at a high school or post-secondary institution in a recognized English-speaking country
  • Successful completion of a recognized degree program from an accredited university in which all language of instruction is English, in a recognized English-speaking country
  • IELTS (academic) 6.0 overall (no sub-score less than 5.5)
  • TOEFL IBT 79 (no sub-score less than 17) (Please note: TOEFL IBT Home Edition not accepted)
  • TOEFL Paper-based Test 550
  • UVic ELC level ELPI 570
  • Successful completion of approved English partner pathway level

The Division of Continuing Studies deems full-time status for the CBA and DBA Programs as studying a minimum of 3 courses per semester.

Please visit the following IRCC page for more information about working while studying in Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

A comprehensive medical insurance plan is one of the benefits provided to international CBA and DBA students in Canada studying in full-time Business and Management programs. This medical coverage, provided by guard.me@UVCS,  is in addition to our mandatory student services fee package. This coverage is required until a student can provide proof of coverage through BC’s Medical Services Plan (MSP).

To learn more about medical coverage, student fees, and MSP coverage, please visit the UVic Continuing Studies International Student Fees and Health Insurance page

Previously, students in the Certificate of Business Administration (CBA) and Diploma in Business Administration (DBA) programs have successfully applied for and received approval for a PGWP. For more details on the most up to date PGWP eligibility requirements and PGWP validity, please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Please email bmt@uvic.ca with your written request for authorized leave from your studies. The Program Coordinator will then review your request, and further documentation may be requested. Please see the following IRCC web page for Study Permit Conditions for more details on Authorized Leaves and what is acceptable: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html. Approval for Authorized Leave applies to your DBA studies, and does indicate IRCC approval of your leave.

Please visit the following IRCC page for more information about changing your school or your program while studying in Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

No, the Diploma in Business Administration is not a post-graduate diploma. The DBA is designed to enable non-business degree graduates and learners with professional experience to pursue studies for career or professional development needs. The DBA also allows graduates to complete bridging programs designed to satisfy professional organization accreditation.

Students may apply to transfer a previously completed course from other colleges and universities or from UVic credit programs, provided the content and learning outcomes closely match a specific Business and Management Programs course. Only one course submission will be considered toward one advanced standing request, and at least 90% of the learning outcomes must match.

Due to course content changes over time and to meet current curriculum and learning outcomes, only BMBA-coded courses completed within the last ten (10) years will be eligible for consideration (e.g. BMBA100 Business Administration). For our TECH100, TECH110 and TECH325, we will consider courses completed within the last four (4) years. All other TECH, BIDA and ISP coded courses are ineligible for transfer.

Please note the maximum number of advanced standings allowed per program type:

  • Diploma in Business Administration: two (2) courses
  • Certificate in Business Administration: one (1) course

Students can submit a request at any time during their program.  An advanced standing approval will be processed in the term in which the request is received.  An advanced standing course does not replace an ‘active’ course within a study term, and therefore does not count towards the number of courses a full-time student must complete in a term.

To request advanced standing, students can complete the online Request for Advanced Standing form and upload the following mandatory documents (in English, or accompanied by an official translation):

  • transcript showing the course name and code, date taken, and the passing grade achieved
  • detailed course outline/syllabus containing:
  • a course description
  • learning outcomes
  • weekly structure
  • assessments
  • course materials/textbook
  • total instructional hours

Calendar and/or website descriptions are unacceptable due to lack of detail. Only requests received with these mandatory documents will be reviewed.

International students should note that adding advanced standing courses to their program may shorten their overall program length, as there will be fewer courses to complete with UVic. Before submitting a request, we recommend you review the IRCC web page for post-graduation work permit (PGWP) validity and the 'Transfers between educational institutions' section for more information about how transferring courses for advanced standing may affect PGWP validity: View IRCC website.

The fee is $350 per advanced standing granted, and is non-refundable upon acceptance.

Please allow 4 – 6 weeks for processing.

Print Page Back to Business programs for international students