FAQ about online English programs
Registration and payment
- For Academic Connect (ELPI-O and UAP-O), the application fee ($150) and deposit fee ($350 - included in tuition) are due at the time of registration
- For Global Connect (EGC), the deposit fee ($25 – included in tuition) is due at the time of registration.
- Once application and deposit fees are paid, they are non-refundable. Refunds may be issued if a student does not test high enough to participate in an ELC Connect online course.
- Application fees and deposit fees are due at the time of registration. The balance of the course fees are due 5 weeks before the course start date.
- Once your registration is complete, you will receive an email confirming your registration. It will contain confirmation of your registration, instructions on setting up your UVic Netlink ID, and your invoice showing payments received and any outstanding balances due.
- The minimum age required for registering for an ELC Connect online course is 16.
- To give students time to complete the necessary steps to prepare for their online course and participate in online orientation sessions the week prior to the course, the preferred deadline for ELC Connect course registrations is 2 weeks before the start date of the course.
- Please contact us if you have questions regarding the registration deadline.
- Academic Connect courses are for students who want to develop the academic skills required to succeed at a North American university and who need to satisfy the English proficiency requirement for admission to degree programs at the University Of Victoria.
- Global Connect courses are for anyone who wants to improve their English language proficiency in a short-term program (starting at 4 weeks). These programs focus on General English and offer several class levels.
- UAP-O students must submit one of the following:
- ELC English Proficiency Test: B2+ or higher
- IELTS 6.0 (no section lower than 5.5)
- TOEFL 79 (no section lower than 17)
- returning from a previous session of ELPI-O within the past year will be placed according to their previous course level
- new to ELPI-O will be placed based on their ELC English Proficiency Test
- new to EGC will be placed based on their ELC English Proficiency Test
- Students who register for an ELPI-O or EGC course will receive an email with a link and log in details to take the ELC English Proficiency Test. The ELC uses the test results to place the students into the appropriate level for their course.
- All English Language Centre policies can be found online at ELC policies. Contact us if you have any questions or concerns about these policies.
- UAP-O and ELPI-O students will need to purchase E-textbooks for their online course. Students will receive an email with instructions for purchasing your E-textbooks before the orientation week.
- Cost of E-textbooks are approximately $50-$150 CAD per course.
- All ELC synchronous classes take place in Zoom.
- UAP-O uses the online learning platforms Brightspace. ELPI-O and EGC use the online learning platform Brightspace.
- Students who register for a program will receive a video orientation about how to use the platform ahead of time.
- UAP-O online synchronous sessions take place on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 5:00pm – 6:00pm Victoria Time (Pacific Time).
- ELPI-O online synchronous sessions take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:00pm – 6:00pm Victoria Time (Pacific Time).
- EGC online synchronous sessions take place on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5:00pm – 6:00pm Victoria Time (Pacific Time).
- The number of learning hours will depend on your course, and includes both “synchronous” (live, in real time) lessons as well as “asynchronous” (online, on your own time) lessons.
- UAP-O: 16-20 hours per week x 6 weeks; 100 hours total
- ELPI-O: 20 hours per week x 10 weeks; 200 hours total
- EGC: 10 hours per week x 4 weeks; 40 hours total
- Upon completion of your online course, you will receive a Record of Grade and a Certificate of Completion by email. Students must receive a participation grade of at least 80% to be eligible for a Certificate of Completion.
Getting ready for your online course
- Details and recommendations about operating systems, web browsers and other equipment needed to participate in your online program are available on the ELC website.
- You can access your program content using a mobile device such as a tablet or a smartphone. However, not all required program features will be available on those devices.
- For complete access and functionality in your online programs, you will need to have access to a computer running Windows or Mac OS.
- Your UVic Netlink ID will give you access to your Continuing Studies “My Account” page, your online course information and course content, and is used to set up your UVic Zoom account. You must set up a UVic Netlink ID before your online course starts.
- Your UVic V-number (student number) is on your registration email and invoice. If you cannot find it, contact us for help.
- A UVic Zoom account will allow you direct access to your online classroom environment and will help ensure your online security during your online course sessions. You will find instructions for setting up your UVic Zoom account on the ELC website.