The ELC staff are not authorized to provide assistance with any part of the visa application process. When our registration team confirms your ELC program registration, they will send you a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) which is official proof of your studies in Canada. You will need this document if you are applying for a visa and when you are entering Canada.

Once you have received your LOA, it is your responsibility to obtain the correct documents to enter and study in Canada. You can confirm which documents you will need and learn about the application process by visiting the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

At the border

When you arrive in Canada, a Canada Border Services Agency officer will ask to see the documents listed below. Please carry these items with you:

  • Valid passport or travel document (with a valid temporary resident visa, if required)
  • Valid study permit or letter of introduction from a Canadian visa office (if a study permit is required)
  • Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): required only for citizens of these countries
  • Letter of Acceptance from UVic
  • Copy of all documents in your visitor or study permit application
  • A typed list of items you are bringing into Canada, including items sent separately