Updated July 22, 2021
Homestay has limited availability for fall 2021. It is important to note that we have very limited homestay availability for students with allergies or restricted diets/special requests.
As we welcome international students back to UVic and Victoria, our top priority is the health and safety of our students, host families, campus and community. The UVic Homestay Program is obligated to follow the regulations and recommendations of the federal and the provincial governments, as well as the local public health authority.
The following priority requirements and considerations will be in effect regardless of which phase of BC’s Restart Plan that the province is currently in:
- The UVic Homestay Program expects that students and homestays will familiarize themselves with BC’s Restart Plan, specifically how to keep transmission low:
- Stay at home and keep a safe distance from family when you have cold or flu symptoms,
- Continue to practice proper recommended hygiene guidelines,
- Practice physical distancing when outside of the home, avoid malls, crowded spaces, etc.
- If a household member (including homestay students) were to contract COVID-19 or express associated symptoms (coughing, sneezing, fever, etc.) during the homestay contract period, the program will work with the student and host to follow public health guidelines.
- The homestay shall direct the student to use a COVID-19 self assessment tool, by visiting https://bc.thrive.health or calling 8-1-1, connecting with Guard.me health insurance, and seeking medical attention, if necessary.
- The UVic Homestay Program aims to avoid spreading COVID-19 with unnecessary relocations. Our preference is to keep the student in place, in accordance with Public Health direction.
Additional program rules and restrictions may be implemented without notice based on requirements implemented by UVic Health & Safety, the BC Government, the Canadian Government, and other governmental agencies.
If the BC Government assesses that the province is to return to a previous phase of BC’s Restart Plan, the UVic Homestay Program services and requirements will match those as outlined by the government and hosts and students will be expected to follow those requirements depending on the phase as determined by the Province of BC. Participants who breach UVic Homestay requirements may have their homestay contract terminated and be removed from the program.
All students must review information on travel restrictions and current COVID-19 regulations sent by Student Services. Students required to quarantine upon arrival by the Canada Border Services Agency are responsible for any costs/fees while at a government-authorized hotel. Please note that as of August 9, 2021, the 3-night hotel quarantine requirement will be eliminated for all travelers. Students required to quarantine in homestay will need to pay an additional $350 homestay quarantine fee for their quarantine period on top of the regular monthly homestay fee during the first month. For these students, the first month’s fee would be $1,300 ($950 monthly fee + $350 quarantine fee), plus the $300 application fee. Subsequent months would be $950/month.
Students will be expected to adhere to COVID-19-related guidelines, regulations and restrictions. As regulations change or are lifted, homestay will revise fees/requirements accordingly.
In order to limit the contact between households due to COVID-19, UVic Homestay will not be accepting Two Week Notice forms to switch hosts. Students will need to stay with their assigned host for the duration of their placement, unless withdrawing from the program by providing the required Two Week Notice form.
In 2022 we hope to make homestay available more widely to international students in the Division of Continuing Studies (DCS) and UVic community, as host capacity allows.
For additional details, please visit our Travelling to Canada and self-isolation page.
- Posted April 29, 2021