How to register
This course is part of the Business Intelligence and Data Analytics program.
To register in the courses, you must apply to and be accepted into the program.
Please contact Loraine Ferreira, Program Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org or (250) 472-5442 for further information.
Additional course details
The blended delivery model incorporates online learning with an on-campus residency (face-to-face classes). The on-campus residency at the beginning of this course allows students to become acquainted with UVic, faculty and fellow students.
While on campus, students will:
• begin to engage in core elements of the program;
• develop team and leadership skills essential for success in the related field of data science;
• consolidate learning acquired during the program; and
• benefit from small-group mentoring and personal consultation.
The online learning portion of this course expands upon the conceptual introductions offered during the residency, allowing participants to practice skills and expand their knowledge base. The online portion delivers much of the theoretical and information-based material in the program. This material is applied to case study exercises undertaken by teams of students within each course.
The online portion of the program takes place over the internet, using a learning management system known as Moodle. The Moodle site for this course will contain discussion forums and readings. At their convenience, students work through the requirements of the course (although there are ‘real time’ deadlines for assignments, etc).
Students will study online for approximately four weeks, and will be required to spend approximately 15 hours per week on coursework. This may vary at times throughout the course and from student to student. During the first course, the amount of time required may be higher, as students familiarize themselves with our online learning technologies.
- Personal laptop and power cable
- Course Moodle site
- MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS PowerPoint or equivalent, for example Open Office – free unlimited use under open source agreements
- R and RStudio – free unlimited use under open source agreements
- DIA (open source), Visual Paradigm CE (free version) or any owned software that is capable of producing a suitable diagram and has been approved by the course instructor.
- No textbook required